Preventive treatment ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am 35 and I have been suffering from ulcers ever since i remember. Does anyone know if there is any preventive treatment available without side effects ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol

I have been diagnosed with coeliac disease and one of the symptoms is recurring ulcers. I don't want to panic you (and in fact a change of diet completely transformed me, so it's not that bad!) but it is something to consider being tested for. If you have other symptoms like bloating, IBS type problems etc, then it may be worth a look into. Other sufferers have itchy skin etc. Lots of conditions have similar type symptoms so please don't let me set you off on a wild goose chase.

Good luck

Suze x

(p.s. I was always told I was run down as I suffered with ulcers a lot as a child and adult, 15 at the same time in my mouth was the best one - ouch!)

• Posted

Thank you stwj.suze for your advices. I don't suffer from coeliac diseases and my general health is good. No doctor or dentist has ever been able to offer me any explanation or treatment, despite repeated visits and blood tests. I have tried a long list of treatments but my ulcers don't respond to any of them.

Mouth ulcers can be completely debilitating, and the pain has often prevented me from eating, drinking, sleeping and speaking (I have 5 ulcers right now in my mouth).

I am so desperate

• Posted

Hi Carol

I too have been suffering from ulcers ever since i remember. I was very desperate and understand you so well...

A year ago I have joined a study to try a new medication. I have taken two capsule a day and I don't have ulcers anymore. From time to time I feel that an ulcer is coming but it does not come out anymore. No ulcers for one year !! Don't be desperate, maybe there is hope for all of us smile

Mia

• Posted

Ooooops, forgot to mention the name: aftazen

Mia

• Posted

Dear Mia,

You are so lucky ! Can you please tell me more about this aftazen treatment ? Also how can I get it for me ?

Carol

• Posted

Dear Carol,

I am really sorry because i don't know how to get it. During the study my GP gave me the treatment every 2 months. Study is over now but he gave me 4 additional months for free. I have no idea how to i'll get it afterwards. I'll ask him if you want.

Mia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.