Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +1 following
Guest Guest

primary polycthemia rubra vera

I was diagnosed some 18 months ago, having read all the articles i could, i found a few things, firstly how scared i became, the realisation i may only have days or months or years, sounds stupid but you just do not know.

The variant stories and mediacl information for the illness, how i would love to sit with others to discuss the outcomes or experiences, im now 43 and feel old age as we know it will not pay me a visit, some may find that great, the thought of being looked after by strangers in a care home, for me the expectations of at least living until im 80+ is a minimum.

Im now on Hydroxy and aspirin and various other tablets for the itching, this i have a theory on, i find intake of oxygen a help plus the release of blood, the instant they remove blood the itching stops for a day, the relief of taking a shower with no itching so so nice.

Oxygen i feel is the key, the blood taking oxygen around our system giving life to organs and the brain, i feel the signal in the brain has some thing to do with the itching, i do not know why or what but it eases such when the intake is increased?

Budd Chiari has be overted, the treatment of blood letting and aspirin has reduced what was a high or elevated billarubin count, i have had a count in the region of 120 for 13 years, this after what doctors thought was hepitias c where my count reached 598, it rapidly reduced during my treatment, they now are investigating this in relation to the budd, not a cure but certainly helps the risk.

Spleen is very enlarged, quite painful at times, swellings on my legs and marks appear, loss of hair seeping in, only a little, my liver is enlarged too, i have had this investigated via Jugular oscopy? there were signs of clots etc but fairly clear now, constant monitoring goes on.

To be honest the writing of this is simply a release as im quite scared, i have know idea why but i am, support is required but i must confess other than my girl friend i have none form my parents, tough is a great word to describe the daily events, the bloody itching, drives me mental, so intense.

Gavin

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.