Prior anisometropia and monovision

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been anisometropic since my teenage years with a difference of around 3.5 D between the two eyes. When I started looking for a cataract surgeon about a year and half ago, the first ophthalmologist I saw warned me that my anisometropia might have an impact on my final outcomes. Although he did not specify the exact impact, I believed he was suggesting that it could be challenging to achieve a perfectly balanced vision post surgeries.

When I raised this issue with my current surgeon, she basically said nothing. Perhaps she thought my goal was not to achieve a balanced binocular vision, but rather to have a mini monovision instead.

My first eye is done, and my surgeon did an excellent job by hitting the refraction target exactly at -1.50 D as calculated. My target for the second eye was set to -0.61 D. Now this ophthalmologist’s comment comes back to worry me. Anyone has any idea as to how prior anisometropia could affect cataract and refractive surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can't think of any way it could have an impact on the success of mini-monovision. Assuming you have set the previously more myopic eye to -1.50 D then you should be just fine. You will be maintaining the direction of the unbalance. Did you use the anisometropia or was it always corrected with glasses or contacts?

I do wonder why you would set the other eye at -0.61 D though. Why would you not target closer to plano to get better distance vision? The next higher power power of IOL should get you to about -0.23 D. I consider that about ideal for distance eye myopia. It gives you some margin before going positive, and considering the surgeon hit the target on the first eye, the risk should be low for a miss on the second eye.

• Posted

I always wear prescription glasses to correct my anisometropia, although I do not have to wear them most of the time. However, when I am concentrating on reading or working on a computer, I have to put on my glassess. Otherwise, my weak eye quickly gets tired within five to ten minutes. That is one of the reasons I prefer not to have a big anisometropia post surgery. I just want to make sure that I won't suffer from asthenopia as I have for decades.

• Posted

On a spherical equivalent basis I am at -0.375 in my distance eye, and -1.625 D in my near eye, for an anisometropia of 1.25 D. I certainly do not find that amount too much, and have never experienced having one eye getting tired. My objective is to be from as free from eyeglasses as possible, including for driving. I do have some progressive glasses that fully correct both eyes, but almost never wear them. I much prefer to be eyeglasses free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.