Private V NHS - TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys can I ask for your opinions/comments please? As you all know I am awaiting an appointment for TKR referral. I'm down as an urgent

case but my local NHS has a backlog and can't give me even an approximate waiting time for an urgent appointment although the routine wait is 22 weeks. The hospital have advised they want me to see the consultant who performed the arthroscopy I had in February but his list is even longer. I have looked into going private with this consultant but the cost over £11000 is quite considerable and I would have to finance that. Do I wait it out or give the private option more thought?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not sure how much pain your dealing with? I do know that a lot of places have financial assistance and Medicaid /medicare.I dont quite understand the 22 week waiting period? If this isnt something that can wait that long ,then i would check into other options to having the surgery. Im sorry I couldnt help much but I do hope you find answers soon.

• Posted

Thanks Tina am managing pain so so with meds if I stay home/work it's manageable but even to walk few yards to local shop is so difficult and the pain after not worth it my knee seizes up and constantly aches with sharp pains

• Posted

Hi Freestork. I had the same dilemma in may 2015 I was classed as urgent and given a date of 6th July 2015. HOWEVER I was cancelled through no fault of my own 5 times and finally got my urgent surgery 3rd October 2016. 15 months after my first date. I seriously considered going private but my closest friend is an anesthetist who worked private for 7 years then returned to the nhs last year taking a huge paycut as he had lost confidence in the private system. He said tkrs were done like an assembly line with only 30 minutes for each procedure. AS time is money. There are quite a few post op complications but these are shipped off to the nhs so the private hospitals do not show these in their statistics. He convinced me that waiting for the nhs was the better option. And seeing as I ended up in critical care for 48 hours post op I'm so glad I waited. I wouldn't have wanted to be put in an ambulance and sent elsewhere in the state I was in. THE aftercare on my nhs ward was fantastic. Good luck with your surgery. Keep plugging away at your health trust for a date. K x

• Posted

Thanks Kerrie appreciate your reply hope you have made a complete recovery? I will call the hospital weekly and chase for updates

Best wishes

Debs

• Posted

I'm only 4 weeks post op and still in lot of pain. But every day is getting easier. I still have my left knee. Both hips and ankles to be replaced yet but I'm staying positive. Hope everything works out well for you. Xx

• Posted

Thanks for this, as it really helps to understand why our Op's are being cancelled. I cannot afford to go private, Might have known the private care were shipping folk straight back to the NHS, makes my blood boil!

• Posted

I can't afford private either Clive, I'd have to apply for finance and it's not cheap. Will just play the waiting game and see what happens

• Posted

I waited 6 months having initially been told 6-8 weeks wait. My consultant although does private work put me off the idea. It's really personal preference - if you have medical insurance go for it - if not be patient and wait. As for me it was worth the wait my local NHS hospital was fabulous.

• Posted

My nearest NHS hospital is just one mile from my home. Whiston Hospital - Merseyside. It's very new! StHelens and Knowsley Trust

• Posted

Been waiting long? Contact PALS they should be able to give you a realistic time scale.
    • Posted

Email sent to Wirral PALS will let you know if I get a response thanks Elizabeth
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth I took your advice and emailed PALS yesterday and received a reply today with an appointment for 29 November! Many many thanks for your advice

Debs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.