Private V NHS - TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys can I ask for your opinions/comments please? As you all know I am awaiting an appointment for TKR referral. I'm down as an urgent

case but my local NHS has a backlog and can't give me even an approximate waiting time for an urgent appointment although the routine wait is 22 weeks. The hospital have advised they want me to see the consultant who performed the arthroscopy I had in February but his list is even longer. I have looked into going private with this consultant but the cost over £11000 is quite considerable and I would have to finance that. Do I wait it out or give the private option more thought?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would ring the consultants secretary. I had an arthroscopy in February and as it ended up bone on bone I had my TKR in July with the same consultant. I had my operations in a private hospital but under the NHS.I would have thought when you saw the consultant after your arthroscopy he would have kept your case open.
    • Posted

Hi Sara thanks for your reply I also had an arthroscopy in February and the consultant did say there was an 80% chance it wouldn't work and if it didn't I would need a TKR am not sure if I can ring his secretary though as am still waiting for my initial appointment to see him again

• Posted

Hi Freestork,

That is a question you should be asking of the physician who gave you the referral in the first place....

and whether or not your knee is in such critical condition as to warrant immediate intervention will also depend upon how your knee feels to you.

Urgent gives you priority over routine. But Urgent does not out rank Immediate.

Yes 22 weeks seems anything but urgent when you are the one waiting.

So move over in that Wait Boat cause I need to sit down next to and commiserate with you...been waiting since Aug 30 for a surgery Jan 15 plus had to bump a tsr till Feb.! Feels like I am never be done. like I am wasting all of this time waiting when I would much rather be healing!

So, lets just keep each other smiling while we endure the interminable wait .

any body got something funny to say...we need a giggle here..

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Ask your GP to refer you to the consultant in question through Choose and Book at the private hospital he works in. This way you will be under his care at a private hospital with no fees.

This is how the NHS get around waiting lists and breaches. The privatisation of the NHS is far more widespread than many people realise but we may as well make the most of it where possible.

• Posted

Wait for the NHS 😀

Good Luck I am on the Waiting List after waiting since August for Appt with Consultant

He informed me The Surgery will be Approx 8/10 Weeks

If that helps

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Michy, hope yours goes to plan, thats not too bad a wait. Can I ask what area of the country you in? I have my appointment now with the orthopaedic surgeon on 29th November
    • Posted

Hi I had my first TKR (left knee)

11+ years ago in East London Very Successful 😀

The wait back then was very similar as it is now

I have recently moved to North East Kent and waiting times

Almost identical 😀

• Posted

Thanks Michy hopefully won't have too longer wait then

• Posted

Hello Freestork,

I'm in Notts and just had my tkr through the NHS but in a private hospital. When I was initially sent for my mri, I was asked my preference of where and I said wherever I can be seen the quickest within an hour drive.

After the injections were no longer working I told my consultant I would like to have the op and within 6 weeks I was booked.

Perhaps you could look into changing consultants based on speed of operation?

I saw that someone mentioned the private hospitals speed the operation up to get more through. Mine was quick - 45 minutes, ,but I would like to think it's because he is so experienced. I had the op a week ago and recovering really well at home, so it has been a fantastic experience for me.

• Posted

That's great to hear thanks Denise am glad your on the road to recovery, I have an appointment with the surgeon on 29th will go armed with a full list of questions

Debs

• Posted

Your main concern should be ` do I have confidence in my surgeon ? `  You will get exactly the same procedure with NHS/Private. BUT in the very rare event that something went wrong during the process you would have every specialty on hand in an NHS Hospital. 

Going back to the surgeon - your GP should be able to tell you about his/her reputation - and it is something you should ask about when you do get your appointment. If you don`t feel happy then see someone else, you`ve put up with your problem this long so there is no need to rush.

For my money you should wait it out and stay NHS - going private works if you absolutely must fix a specific date, but as you know you`ll pay for that !

I waited a lot longer than you have so I could have the right person, and I`m very glad I did.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.