Proactive Things to Do

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with GAD - seeing a counselor and taking anti-anxiety medication.  I also have GERD and am taking medication for that.  My issue is anxiety and spefically heatlh anxiety (heart related - all tests checked out normal).  My brother in law passed away from a heart attack at age 32, so that plays a big role in the focus on the heart.

The meds are slowly kicking in and things are definitiely more stable.  I still have physical pains that I am trying not to focus on and hope that over time they start to fade.  I am currently back to eating more, hydrating, having acupuncture and seeing a chiropractor (first session today felt great!).  I am hoping to start exercising again - I used to run 2-3 miles a day.

So, I have seen posts about nutrition, hydration, and supplements.  What do people recommend to be proactive in the battle with anxiety?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

sounds like your doing all the right things.

I joined a gym today as I'm told that exercise is the BEST thing...so get back to running!

I also drink a herbal tea at night that is very relaxing "Chaomimile" i don't know if the tea really does anything (I do start yawning after it..but I drink it late at night as it is intended)...

BUT the thought that I am TRYING to do the right things for myself and the anxiety makes me have less anixety.

• Posted

I read lately that you should definitely keep active......in small doses.  I find that sitting down for too long feeds the anxiety, so I do a little job, gave a rest, then start again
  • Posted

The chamomile tea...pure from the flower, no other ingredients, is wonderful for relaxation anytime, before bed, and is a great help to the digestive system.
  • Posted

Thank you! I will look into the tea. I have always been a coffee and black tea drinker, but have stopped due to the GERD and anxiety.

I have read / seen a little bit about supplements. Magnesium, vitamin B etc. Cia, I have seen your posts regarding Magnesium and found them interesting. Are supplements worthwhile?

• Posted

B 12 was prescribed by my doctor after a blood test. I, and my doctor, and a dietician who taught me for awhile, all feel it is better to eat right. There are foods that aggravate anxiety, and foods that soothe. Those lists are on line.

Magnesium...my blood test for it came back normal, but when anxiety spikes, mag. is depleted, so I use a topical, mag. spray when muscles hurt or spasm. Works within one minute. As the mag. in my body comes back to normal....I only use the spray when needed...sometimes twice a week, sometimes twice a day.

Don't just decide to take supplements, first check your diet. Get rid of the foods that spike anxiety, and fill the fridge with all the wonderful foods that work with you to calm and nourish your mind and body.

Knowing about foods, once actually saved my life when the medical community gave me up for dead..HA HA....here I am.

Another "supplement" I really enjoy is pure chamomile tea made from the flowers and with no other additions. It soothes and calms.

Think what supplement means....to add what is missing. to add to something to make it complete. So, if we start with a good diet and are still missing vitamins or minerals, we supplement.

I have my blood tested every six months to check for deficiencies. You do have to ask for the magnesium test specifically for some reason.

You asked a great question. I hoped my answer helped. Ask if you have questions.

I have a real issue with people who eat junk, fast food, etc. and think supplements will be enough to maintain health...expecially with anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you, Cia.  My diet has been fairly clean especially with the stomach issues.   I did have bloodwork done (but not for magnesium) and the only thing that was slightly low was potassium.  I have been trying to bring that up naturally with different foods.
    • Posted

That's a good idea, Beth...banana, avocado, etc. Potassium supplements are not something you want to mess with. I usually google ...foods highest in potassium, and there's the list. It sounds like you are doing this already. Blessings and laughter, Sweetie.

• Posted

Well research saids the most effective thing is lifestyle

-Working out

-Eating right

-Sleeping enough / Having fun / Getting enough sun

Me personally all these lifestyle changes I listed^ and magnesium and b complex and multivitamin. They all help with the anxiety symptoms.

Also daily meditation.. Atleast 20 minutes a day. I try to do that twice a day. If your worried about your heart just get a checkup every 6 months to a year.. If they already told you your fine then that's a good stress relief.

How has the acupuncture help you? I have a lot of muscle tension in my body I'm thinking about trying it for that and anxiety

• Posted

I have been having acupuncture done off an on for over 6 years.  I think it is extremely helpful for health issues and stress. 
  • Posted

Id say you are the right track. Be sure this isnt a thought carry it thru.If you would like have a foot soak with some magnessium flakes (vitamin store) half a cup in a warm water basin in the evening. This will supply you with some magnessium (calming and great to relieve muscle tension in the whole body it will absorb thru your foot soak) and your feet will feel pampered and soft. If you stay on the gerd medication longer then four months add b12 sublinguals to your daily regime. A sublingual goes under your tongue and absorbs. The gerd meds inhibit its absorption after long term use. You dont swallow b12 it like a pill it won't absorb. I think you will be feeling well if you follow your protocol. Lastly five minutes before bed think of all the things you are grateful for nothing is too small and note to self how you will be having a restful, peaceful sleep. In the morning upon wakening follow the same five minutes of pure positive thoughts and that you will be creating a wonderful day. Those times i mentioned are a trans state your body is in so positive and grateful thoughts will be able to get into your subconscious  mind way easier then the other parts of the day. Thats all i got. Feel good and take care.

• Posted

I like the positive thoughts before bed and upon wake up.  That is when anxiety seems to flare for me, especially waking up.  Thank you for the information about the B12 as well.  I am hoping to be able to get off the GERD medication at some point, but they are definitely helping for the time being. 
    • Posted

At this point, don't even think about if or when you will get off meds. That is not productive thinking.

My sister was dealing with depression and some anxiety. I suggested she get a machine that plays her most favorite sounds...ocean, rain, breeze through trees, birds singing, etc. whatever. Many of these can be programmed for time off and on. She now goes to sleep and wakes up smiling at the rain on the roof sounds she loves,

• Posted

How re you feeling now?
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

I am doing fairly well, thank you for checkig in.  The anxiety medications are helping quite a bit.  I am sleeping better, eating, and hydrating. I also have started running again which feels great!  I had about 10 good days and then my period started which I think ramped up my anxiety.  I have had more physical symptoms related to anxiety, but I am trying to justify them as anxiety and not panic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.