Problem with lumps on tongue.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have large lumps at the back of my tongue. What could they be?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i think you will find they are your taste buds.
  • Posted

..perfectly normal!
  • Posted

Thank you Lesley - they've never been this noticeable as I can now feel them when I swallow.
  • Posted

You are welcome. If on back of tongue (ie not at side of throat) it is likely taste budes. Swollen taste buds can be caused by a number of things. Very hot food that burns and irritates a taste bud can result into its swelling. Allergies to specific foods (depending upon the person) can also cause taste buds to swell. Taste buds that taste sweets are located on the tip of the tongue and salt taste buds are on the two side areas of the tongue tip. Sour taste buds are situated on the lateral sides of the tongue and bitter taste buds on the back of the tongue. The area of the tongue where the swollen taste bud is located can help in knowing which taste is involved. A swollen taste bud can also be a result of continually eating spicy foods that constantly over-stimulate these sense organs. Another common cause of swollen taste buds is trauma from biting the tongue

Lumps at the side of throat are more likely to be tonsil related.

In either case...absolutely nothing to worry about. See your GP!

• Posted

Thanks again for your comment. It makes a lot of sense - if they are still swollen at the end if the week I'll make a GP appointment. As an A&E nurse, unfortunately my tongue anatomy and physiology isn't upto scratch!

Definitely not tonsil related although they are slightly inflamed but it seems to be the "bitter" taste buds at the back of my tongue causing the problem. It's a shame I can't post a photo (link needs approval by admin).

Thanks once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.