Problem with "lymph nodes" help?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Okay I'm sorry this is my second discussion, I just feel talking to people eases my health anxiety when I have nobody else to speak too.

Basically iv had lymph nodes come up on my neck both sides, we'll the doctor said lymph nodes or a cyst but I have 2-3 on each side. I had blood tests and they all came back clear which cleared some of my anxiety.

And then the doctor referred me for further blood to put my mind at rest I haven't yet made the appointment I will be doing that tomorrow.

What I would like to know if because I have health anxiety. I'm worrying like mad I google absolutely every symptom I get, and it comes up 'lymphoma' my partner calls me crazy as he's said there's a certain age who gets lymphoma but I'm sure iv read it's common in young adults. (I'm 20)

Are cancer lumps hard? Mine move and I get a bit of a stinging sensation in them I don't know if that's my anxiety causing the pain or if it's actually there?

Can anybody help me please I'm a very worried girl. Xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You won't listen, because health anxiety convinces you that you have a certain disease, and not even a medical professional can convince you otherwise. However, after recovering from serious anxiety and health anxiety as a result of seeing my aunt die of cancer, I can assure you that googling your symptoms is the worse thing you can do. If you feel the need to do it and currently do it 20 times a day, then do it. Tomorrow however, only try and do it 19 times, and the next day 18 times and so on. I understand you are waiting for tests back? Until these results come back ( and I'm sure you won't have lymphoma) look at the statistics for your age group. Also, even if it were the worse case scenario and you did have the disease you would still have time to plan, receive treatment etc. Most health anxiety manifests itself as an innate fear of death or illness leading to death. However, most anxieties cause physical symptoms such as swollen glands or in my case, crippling stomach pains that made me sure I had cancer (my aunt died of stomach cancer) however six months down the line I am still here. I hope you feel better soon, and we are never alone. There is always someone in the world to talk to. Love and light. Chris
  • Posted

I can empathise. I have anxiety issues myself and can understand how overwhelming it may be. Recently I had an HIV scare due to a needle stick injury at work, I was convinced I had it and was googling every tinty thing wrong with me and tried to link it to HIV. Turned out my second test was completely fine also. I do understand how scary it can be but from my experience, I can only suggest to stay the heck away from self diagnosing on the net. As suggested, try whittling it down each day. Please don't worry yourself over it, easier said than done, I understand, but you'll feel better if you try to avoid self diagnosis. You'll probably find its just a throat infection or something a lot less serious.

I'm currently trying to deal with my own anxiety problems just now too, I'm here if you need someone to chat too.

• Posted

Hey thank you for the replies,

I find it much easier to talk to somebody other than wracking my brain over and over again, people who suffer the same things can maybe give me some answers I'm looking for to help me feel better.

Chris I am not currently waiting for test results. I already had my bloods taken (which I pushed for because of anxiety) and they came back all ok. The doctor wasn't at all worried I kept going back as more kept appearing!

And he said he would send me for bloods to put my mind at rest and all was ok. My anxiety calmed down quite abit after I had my results until last Saturday when I got a letter that I had been referred to my local hospital for further testing. I didn't know it was for further bloods until Monday when I could speak to my doctor as the letter didn't state why or where I had been referred too. Until Monday he confirmed it was further bloods for my lymph nodes to help me get over my anxiety of it being lymphoma.

I haven't yet made the appointment for further bloods as I want to phone my doctor tomorrow morning and speak with him. I'm quite puzzled as to why he would send me to my local hospital for further bloods when he's already done them and they was clear, surely he can just do them again instead of sending me to my hospital when I have a 1 year old to take with me and it's unnecessary when my doctors in 2 minutes around the corner from me. This makes my anxiety worse and makes me think maybe the hospital can pick more up when I thought all bloods went to a labrolleyes

Sorry fir the essay just majorly confused but I will just speak to my doctor tomorrow and ask him. He also put me on diazepam on Thursday but as I read the side effects of the tiredness and they can make me puzzled etc I don't really want to be taking them as I have my little one to look after.

Thank you for any advice. L&l to all x

• Posted

Just to add, it also feels like I've got them in my neck bone too x
  • Posted

Kirsty take a big breath and sigh ,it's mind over matter .gets you every time.the more you google the worse it becomes , then your anxiety takes over yet again your then on that cycle of worrying again so no more googling from today leave it aloneI .I only go on forums that are related to my proven health issues no other I definitely wouldn't google symptoms period that's my advice Your partner is talking sense to you but you've got to be willing to listen and then act on it xx
  • Posted

Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have swollen lymph nodes that are on both sides of my neck, and near my collar bone and I am 80% sure it is related to anxiety. They came up last time I as suffering with severe anxiety a few years ago and have come up again about a month ago due to recent anxiety sad I am due to see my Dr on Monday so will ask then, but it just seems too much of a conicidence not to be related even though there is no medical evidence linking swollen lymph nodes with anxiety x

• Posted

Hi I know it is quite an old post but I am currently in state of panic over lymph nodes had tests about 4 years ago for 2 lymph nodes I could  feel all came back ok but recently felt 2 new ones on the same side of neck which has made my anxiety go into over drive currently waiting for an ultrasound which I asked the doctor for has they didn't seem concerned. 

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to say thank you for posting this and the reassuring comments. I have been dealing with the same thing for about a month now after learning my aunt has a terminal autoimmune disorder. I have severe health anxiety but it has taken a turn for the worse after I’ve started googling everything. I hope everything worked out for you. 
  • Posted

Did you ever fig out what was going on w/ the swollen nodes?

I have been dealing with several swollen lymph nodes on my head and neck for about 4 months now. They sometimes feel tender and they don't really change in size. It started with one behind my ear in Dec and then now i have one in the back of my neck and also under my jaw. I've been to my reg dr, dermatologist and an ENT and they all guess the swollen nodes are skin related (either my acne or my bad dandruff i get). I've had severe anxiety over these bumps, esp with the new ones showing up after time has passed. I had an MRI of the first bump in Dec, but after more have popped up I wish they would just do a biopsy or something already and be sure they are fine. They said in a month I can do an ultrasound and go from there. It's so frustrating just waiting and waiting and all I do is google my symptoms and then worry I have lymphoma. I haven't seen much info on anxiety directly causing swollen lymph nodes, but I'm very curious if it does. I have been soo anxious I'm wondering if that's why more are showing up bc my anxiety is just getting worse and worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.