Problems about citalopram?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today is my day 3 to taking citalopram, I felt good on the day 1, day 2 I felt some nervous and still have feeling of panic attack, and dry mouth,. Today, I feel tired whole day, I just want to lay down on the bed and don't want to move, but I need to give a ride to my gf to airport, i felt liitle panic when I at the airport, is this the side -effect of this meds? How long it works? I took this meds becuz I have 4months depression and anxiety.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi ryan90344 i've been taking it for a week now and ive experience all the things you have mentioned and still am, everyone keeps telling me it settles down so fingers crossed
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ryan

It takes around 6 weeks to 3-4 months to start to feel the benefits of this med, but please don't be disheartened at this, it's so worth the wait! :-)

Youll experience many nasty side effects on this medication, but they do all wear off in time.  You need to give this lots of time to work and have lots of patience.  I always say 'a broken leg doesn't heal overnight, as it's the same for depression and this medication'.

Often things get worse before they better, but this is normal too.  Have a read of lots of posts here on this medication as they're very helpful.

You'll probably get lots of ups and down periods on this medication too, but don't make the mistake of thinking you're ill again and the meds aren't working - they are, and it's just the way they work.

Just have lots of patience and accept everything that's thrown at you throughout the recovery process, and don't be too hasty increasing the dose.  Be patient, and this medication will work for you.

I recovered from long term depression on this medication, and have been well since.

Best wishes

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for all positive common, thank you so much. Today is day 4, I'm on 10mg of citalopram now, when I wake up just feels like my brain was freeze and dizzy, also I feel tired, want to sleep. Hope everything will going well. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Take it slowly Ryan, one day at a time.  All these side effects will pass.  Any worries just ask on here for help and advice.  Everyone's here to help.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

For me the side effects lasted around 2-4 weeks. I'd get one side effect and as that faded I'd get another, so the whole thing lingered for a while with the lesser side effects hanging around the last.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I have been taking 20mg citalopram for 3 months now, and i also experienced the side effects you are talking about.

I also had anxiety and depression following a break up,stiick with it,

it will get better xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ryan,

I am on week 8 going into week 9 and 3rd week since raising to 20mg. Everything you have mentioned I still get plus buzzing in ears, but I am finding it getting slightly better over all even with the down days have slightly increased too. However, I just take it as it comes and wait to get better, as I believe it will (at the moment I do) although sometimes!

This is the best place to come if yer feeling like advice or reassurance.

Regards, David

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for all positive common, thank you so much. Today is day 4, I'm on 10mg of citalopram now, when I wake up just feels like my brain was freeze and dizzy, also I feel tired, want to sleep. Hope everything will going well.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ryan, I've been on 10mgs now for 6 weeks. This is the second time I've been on them. The first time I had no side effects at all but this time I had them all. It took around 3 weeks for side effects to go, now I'm experiencing some good days and bad days with anxiety. Hopefully it's the meds working and I'm getting back to myself.  Things should start working soon for you, stay with it.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up