Problems after changing diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi guys,

the last few days i have really stuck to a clean gluten free diet, meat, loads of fruit and veg and some carbs. the problem is i always get really constipated when i do this. i am eating more fibre so thats not the issue, i just dont understand how my bowel movements become worse when eating better. 😦

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Diet change can cause bowel habit change. Unless you are intolerant to gluten, I would go back to a gluten diet and see what happens.

• Posted

Suddenly chang8ng your diet is bad news for IBS as it doesn't give your body time to react. Any changes made should be gradual. Lots of fruit and veg often cause constipation as the sudden increase in insoluble fibre is too much for the bowel to take. Reduce your fibre intake to what it was before and drink more fluid. The gradually increase fibre slowly. For example, have one extra serving of veg, keep this steady for a few days to give your body time to relax, then add one more serving, wait a few days etc. Also cooked veg is easier on IBS than raw.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.