Problems after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post lap gallbladder removal. I haven't had any of the diarreah however, the op sent me into urinary retention. I had to go home with a catheter in, which gave me a kidney infection. I was admitted a week after going home for iv antibiotics for 5 days and then a week later for another 2 days of antibiotics. Now getting sent for tests to see why I am still in retention/getting recurrent utis. Now I have pain under my right ribs again. Not the same as gallbladder pain, but same place. I fells like bruised ribs almost, it was sore to lie on my right side and even my left side a bit, so I had a truly rotten night. I also have had pain in my right calf, but no swelling. I haven't been short of breath or anything. But it has made me worry about DVT? My cousin had a dvt after having her appendix out and she didnt have typical symptoms. I really dont want to go to the drs again though. I have been at least once a week for the past 2 months and I think they might be getting a bit fed up with me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your health is more important than worrying what the Dr thinks of you! Not that I think they would be annoyed as you have had genuine health problems after the surgery. Also as you know dvt/pe is a risk from surgery so if you are concerned it is best to get it checked out.

Try not to worry too much it probably is pain from healing but I know when I've had health issues intend to think something else terrible is happening if I get other symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Jen, So sorry to hear all this has happened to you. You need to get your calf pain checked just in case. Your Dr wont be fed up with you youve had a tough time byt sounds of it.

I am 3 weeks nealry post op and I still find it uncomftable lying on right side and left side also. I still feel sore in the GB area and like you described but it is settling. I am finding what I eat is affecting it so ive gone back to very soft and  easily digested things. I think we forget how much healing we have inside. Hope you get sorted soon

Take care x

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what happened? Im in the exact same boat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.