Problems after knee surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had knee surgery in January of this year.

I had a lot of problems with infection but finally have it under control. The pain from my knee is getting better but I am experiencing pain in my hip on the operated leg and the hip and knee of the good leg. I am also still having pain in the scar of the operated leg. Is this normal?Am I supposed to be feeling this or is something else wrong?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valerie

17 months out from TKR

Nerve pain from incision still troubling. Especially at nite when it causes me to wake. Has diminished but very ly.

Good luck

Pete

• Posted

If the knee itself hurts, try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...great topical anti-inflammatory.

Nerve pain is another matter.  I just had an LLIF fusion of L2/L3 where the nerve roots were retracted for the operation.  The resulting nerve pain was, predictably, down the front of my thighs.  I will not take any of the nerve meds because of the outrageous side effects.  Tried some OTC Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine.  While not perfect, certainly helped a lot.  A doc can prescribe more powerful Lidocaine patches that can dull the nerve pain if you need them.

• Posted

Without knowing anything else...

When we have knee pain, we automatically and unconsciously change the way we walk...our "gait"...to lessen the pain.  This could cause all kinds of misalignments in the hips and spine even including locked SI joints.  This result from the knee pain is very, very common.

X-ray and a visit to a chiropractor could fix your problem either immediately or over the course of a few weeks.  I've had this problem many, many times over the years and chiro worked just fine.

Then again, it could be spine related but it doesn't sound like that.  Chiro is the least invasive path.

• Posted

Chicos right. I walked further than ever yesterday and my hips were killing me. From my exercise instructor I know that it's tight hip flexor. I'm trying to be more diligent in stretching. I'm also going to the chiropractor and massage. Most of our hip pain is not the hip but the muscles. The pain from actual hip joint pain is felt more in front and deeper at least that's what my pt said.

• Posted

I think the hip aspect is normal Valerie, as  walking with a walker, and then crutches and then sticks all puts different strains on your hips, and I suspect the scar will be tender/sensitive  for a while, but it's difficult to guess what degree of pain you've got.  Can I ask - what were your symptoms of infection and how were they dealt with.  I think this is something most of us are almost neurotic about because it's our biggest worry, so to hear what happened with someone else might even be reassuring.

• Posted

It started with my skin around the? incision being extremely red and swollen. The scar hurt unbelievably and it was hot to the touch. I was running a fever. None of the doctors wanted to talk about the possibility of infection. I continued to push them and the doctor eventually decided to give me antibiotics for the infection. I have had infection 3 times in the knee with this knee. It is normal for the operated side to be warmer than the other side but you shouldn't have fever and major redness. I just got rid of the infection a month ago and I had my surgery on January 26th, 2017.

• Posted

Thanks so much for this info Valerie.  So it was the typical symptoms really then.  That's awful that doctors didn't want to face up to the possibility of infection though.  Phew - you've had a rough time with it!  I'm so glad you've got rid of the infection now!!!!  I hope things get better and better now!  I believe some have had the joint taken out while the infection has healed?  I think this is something that we all have at the back of our mind and worry about.  It must have drained you.

• Posted

Yeah it did but the knee are pretty good with the joint. I just need to deal with the pain I am experiencing in the hip on the operated knee and the pain in the good knee. I have degenerative discs in my low back and am afraid to let a chiropractor work on me. I will have to find another way.
    • Posted

Have you tried a TENS?  That worked incredibly well for me after a physio caused me bad pain after working on scoliosis, and it cured the pain totally until I went back to the same physio and the same thing happened again.  The TENS cured it for the second time (in just five days or so) and needless to say I didn't go back to that physio!

• Posted

Been thinking about it. It worked for me when the doctor cleaned out the same knee of the scar tissue and bone spurs I had in my knee before I had the surgery.

I think I will try it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.