Problems after STAR ankle replacement and Achilles lengthening

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a STAR ankle replacement and Achilles lengthened on 26th March 2015. My cast was removed on 12th May 2015 (Tuesday) I have unbearable pain and numbness of my ankle and most of my leg up until my hip. I can't put any weight on it so I'm still using crusty and dragging my ankle !! Is this normal ?.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No that does not sound normal. Obviously you have the removable boot on ? My ankle felt numb & tight when I took boot off. But no pain . The Achilles' tendon felt tight, but I reckon I just need to strengthen the calf ect. I am approaching 10 weeks since op 11 March.  I do not have boot on when walking in house, and use one crutch. It is strange at first walking with partial weight on foot & no crutches . Hope you improve 
  • Posted

Ann,

I know it has been just about over a month pass since your procedure, and that you are off the cast for just a week. I don't know your history, but I am a TAR patient too, still recovering sinse last January, and I know that it takes time and great deal of patience in TAR recovery. Just go easy now at the beginning, follow your doctor's recommendation to start PT sessions and do it dilligently, if all goes well the pain and discomfort should diminish with time.

G.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you still got pain since last jan!!!! I had right ankle replaced in 2008 and left March. 2015 ( approaching 10 weeks)  I am now in normal shoes , still use 1 crutch . How old are you? I am 63yrs old. Good luck and hope you soon pain free.
    • Posted

Dear Catherine,

Not exactly pain, what I feel mostly is a discomfort while walking, particularly when climing down stairs, because tendons around my foot are still stiff. My doctor tells me that I have to excercise as often as possible to prevent scar tissue and further stiffness - so I do. I am still very active (despite my 59, you asked biggrin and intend to have my mobility improved after my TAR, so far I am feeling much better than before the surgery. 

• Posted

Yes I feel the tightness but I ( hopefully) think it will take time , just keep on with wee exercises & strengthen the tendons, ligaments & ankle will follow 👍👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.