Problems driving in menopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had driving problems, about 1 year ago I just suddenly lost every bit of confidence I had and started to panic driving on a dual carriageway.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angi... about a 1.5 years before my peri symptoms took hold, I was in a bad car accident caused by another driver and had to be taken to the hospital.  I did not have injuries, mainly just lacerations and a lot of soreness, but mentally it was a lot to overcome and I have been a nervous driver ever since.  Peri has just added another layer of anxiety and I do find myself taking deep breaths behind the wheel to calm myself sometimes.
  • Posted

That's how mine began one Thursday morning ,then palpatations .took weeks later and a blood test to be told menopause ,by I might add an old Dr ,none of these young ones (drs ) thought to look at the symptoms being menopause . I was 48 , but felt odd at times from age of 38 . Scary time . Okay for then 10 yrs got an illness virus ,set it all off again symptom wise . I was driving okay after I knew it was meno anxiety doing it .mine hit me at traffic lights both times . why traffic lights ? Mystery even to me today . Never done motorway driving since either . 
  • Posted

oh god yes i even get to places get out the car and take deep breaths then get back in put music on then head for home its horrible isnt it bless you hope it improves for you
  • Posted

Hi angi,

I went on HRT and one of the first silly things I noticed was that I was driving with so much more confidence and less granny dithering than I had been, I said to my husband no one would believe me if I told them that.

I had a lot of memory stuff, awful groping and not finding the right word and trailing off halfway through a sentence forgetting what I was talking about.

My brain loves the estrogen.

• Posted

Hi

I am hopefully going on HRT next week. I'm 46 and have been having symptoms for about 4 years. The last 3 months have been awful- pressure headaches everyday,depression,couldn't even watch TV if something sad was on. Lots of panic attacks in one day. Acid reflux,weak legs ,restless legs night time,tinnitus etc. Have you suffered with any of these?

Am hoping HRT will help.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

HRT has helped with all those things.

Acid reflux (for anyone unable or unwilling to take HRT)

I sorted it out myself with ginger capsules 2 before meals

And less of ginger tea made with fresh ginger. It worked better for me than proton pump inhibitors.

• Posted

Hi I think Im peri menopause, I'm 38 but my symptoms all started 3year ago.

Woke up one day full on vertigo dizziness, weird headaches, memory problems, anxiety etc

Now it kinda faded away after a few months but member fully went away.. To this day I suffer weird sinus like headaches, ear humming and fulness , gum ache,and balance issues. It seems to be triggered abit a week before period and lasts about 2 weeks after, I have about 1 week where I'm symptom free.

Shopping centres, busy places, and stress makes the symptoms worse.

My doc put me on amitryptalan 10mg for migraines and I'm to try taking notheristerone? Incase is a hormone issue? Anyone tried this drug? X

• Posted

We must be twins. I'm 38 and mines started about three years ago. But just about 5 months ago, I started getting the dizzies, weird head pressure, off balance, horrible anxiety and many more symtpoms. They calm down for about a week then they are right back and they are the extreme worse when it's time for my cycle. Keep us posted how the meds work out for you.
    • Posted

Emma , I came down with MdDS ( Mal de Dembarquement Syndrome ) into yr 5 with it . I've got Sinisitis 10yrs , had tinnitus 10 yrs . Do you or have you had neck problems ? 

Cut back on sugar and salt . Don't overload on coffee or tea. 

• Posted

My first anxiety attack expierence was while i was driving. So you can imagine my anxiety is crazy any time I know I have to get in the car. I'm anxious until I get back home.
  • Posted

get yourself some rescue remedy and take before u start to drive take it with you it helps me good luck
  • Posted

My friend gets this now she is in menopause, she wont drive on certain roads or roundabouts!
  • Posted

Thanks all, makes things a little clearer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.