Problems Return 8 years post Subacromial Decompression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some 8 years ago I had a decompression and AC resection as a result of bone spur, calcific tendinopathy and resulting impingement.

Apparently, surgery went well and for quite a number of years I have been pleased and saw full range of motion.

Unfortunately, the problems of before have returned with gusto and now with a lot of weakness, so perhaps some cuff damage too. I have been doing all of the deltoid rehab exercises, etc... but it just keeps getting worse.

I am seeing a surgeon this week, so I guess will find out extent of the issue.

I just wondered if anyone else had experience of recurring impingement following surgery and whether they had achieved success from repeat surgery?

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

My situation with my second total hip replacement is different I think, but I sure hope the best for you!

Dawn

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the best wishes and I hope your hip replacement goes well.

X-rays indicate a large deposit of calcium in the rotator cuff (calcific tendinopathy) that is not wanting to resorb, has not responded to physio or anti-inflammatories and may have caused some damage to the cuff.

I am due for MRI in a few days to confirm extent and surgeon is proposing arthroscopic debridement and cuff repair.

So, it looks like I will be going through similar surgery as before and hopefully may get another 8+ years of full motion and pain-free as a result... fingers crossed.

The good news from the surgeon was that my should joint itself looks beautiful and that the original SAD operation did a great job of removing bone spur and creating subacromial space, so thankfully won't need that aspect of the surgery repeating, just the calcium removal and cuff repair. Hurrah!

I will update once I get more info and on how the treatment goes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Martin1977,

Hope all is well. Just had a SAD operation also just 3 days ago. Do you know how the calcification was caused? And do you know if this was avoidable?

Thanks in advance!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So, it appears I have a 15-20mm calcific deposit and full thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon of the rotator cuff.

Arthroscopic debridement, rotator cuff repair and subacromial decompression planned.

Oh the joys of rehabilitation to come!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So thankful for MRI's!  They give such clear pictures.  So hoping that your surgery goes well and that rehab will get easier quickly.  My shoulder joints are dead, avascular necrosis, so I must go through with the surgeries.  However, right now I am still trying to heal from my two total hip replacements also caused by AVN.  Do not want to take on more surgery quite yet, but fear the time is nearing with the pain steadily increasing.  

Please keep sharing your experiences and I wish the best for you!

Dawn

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up