Problems starting 5 months after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I had my Gallbladder removed 5 months ago.. Up till now, I've coped ok with various pains etc as I expected that and it sounded pretty normal after reading some people' s experiences on here. Anyway, these last 2 weeks I've been having terrible cramping pains, it even wakes me up in the night and I have to get up and go to the toilet. This relieves it slightly but I'm still left with the dull ache and continue to go to toilet during the day.This has been ongoing now for about 2 weeks - I'm having bouts of nausea too, feel full only halfway through a meal and have continued to gain weight. I've put about a stone on in 5 months, which is infuriating after joining WW last year and losing 3 & half stone. I'm also very windy which is very inconvenient 😔 Can anyone shed any light on why these horrible symptoms are only just occurring now? And what can I do about it? Thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Research oxbile, I take one 125 mg with each meal and it works great. You may need to make adjustments with the dose and foods or amounts of foods but give it a try it's made a world of difference for me

• Posted

Thank you I'll look into it, glad it's helped you.

• Posted

You may still have a stray stone that has migrated and is blocking a duct. Maybe you need to ask for ultrasound?

I was prescribed Omeprazole to help with wind and digestive issues- used it for three months to let things settle but don't need it anymore (6 months post open cholecystectomy). Buscopan can be bought from pharmacies and is good for trapped wind. Personally I would not take ox bile. Son in law is a doctor and he said he would not recommend taking it when I asked about it. Didn't fancy taking it anyway. If it was as easy as that, the NHS would not be spending millions on cholecystectomies.

Are your bowel movements normal in appearance? If they're yellow, they contain a lot of bile. Increasing the amount of fibre you eat can help soak up excess bile but do it gradually.

Try eating low fat to see if that helps, otherwise you'll probably need to go back to your doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm just concerned that it's been quite bad these last 2 weeks. It seems no matter what I eat I start to get the twinges were my GB used to be, then dull cramping - then eventually diahorrea. They were sure it was only one 16 mm stone & inflamed GB - in fact they gave me it in a jar... 😂 - I'm going to go back to my doc this week as I feel proper run down, lethargic etc and can't be bothered with anything. Bedtimes are lousy as more often than not my tum has a dull ache and I'm up in the night going to the toilet. Fingers crossed the doc can help... x

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed last may was supposed to be day surgery ended up in for twelve days with tube in to drain bile have had terrible problem with gas can burp for hours still get the tightening pain really depressing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.