problems walking and poor bend 10 weeks post TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Discharged 3 days after surgery at end of January and had 3 sessions of 20 minutes phyio since.  Despite doing physio, raising leg and icing bend is only 70 degrees at best.  At last session physio said no more sessions until see surgeon in 4 weeks as not sure what bend surgeon expects given my knee history (have had 3 other surgeries on this leg since age 17) and may have to have bend under anaesthetic and unfortunately this surgery is one where recovery and work is up to me.  Any tips please?  Am trying to stay positive but frustrated.  Also GP not happy about me going back to work but I cannot afford to be off any longer.

Have had a lot of advice for the tendon and muscle pains in first 3 weeks, so hoping for some more advice re bending and walking.  thanks

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try warm flannels and then wrapped in a towel (refreshing flannels in hot water once or twice) for about 10 -15 minutes before trying the bend.  It helped me.  Don't ice before exercise, but ice after.  Hope it helps!

• Posted

will give this a go.  thanks, Chris.  Ice after exerciseand had thought about hot watr bottle but flannels will mould to leg.  thankyou
    • Posted

Hope it helps Joanne.  It was Clive and Sue on this group who told me about it:-)
  • Posted

Hi Joanne,Please remember that you have had a major operation. We are all at different levels of healing.Rest as much as you can.Make the most of this amazing weather.Take. it easy regards Amanda
    • Posted

thanks for support.  There is so much not warned about with this operation so although knew it was major (and I had no option it had to be done) would have liked to have been more prepared for the sleepless nights, cramps, tears and struggle.  So glad found this site,  was a bit astounded by physio's comments and such a difference of treatments reported on this site.  Still, things can only get better .....  

• Posted

That's what I thought too Joanne, but after reading the range of affects people had after the tkr I came to the conclusion it would easily fill a 200 page booklet LOL!  I've been lucky - been the other extreme, with no sleepless nights apart from those caused by the other knee that needs a tkr, and no pain apart from overdoing the bend (when the physio said to rest it for a couple of weeks) and really it's been a breeze for me.  Not what I expected at all!  So I think the advice to expect the worst and hope for the best is about right LOL!  What hit me on this site is how physios vary SO much in amount of pain they are prepared to inflict!  It made me so glad I just had a sheet of exercises and a DVD!:-))))

• Posted

Can you call surgeons office and ask for what he expects? Relay to physio the info. 4wks is a long time to wait in rehab therapy. Then PT could give you exercises to do at home so you feel guided.

Good luck

:D

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Op undertaken NHS so don't have luxury of contacting surgeon for info.  I was a little astounded by physio's attitdue to be honest.  Am busy keeping up with exercises given though.

• Posted

Joanne, mine was NHS too but I was told to contact the nurses or the physio if there were any concerns, and when I did contact them they were incredibly sweet and very helpful.  But I guess all hospitals are different!
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, 

I was NHS aswell but I was given a number on discharge to ring if I had any concerns. I must admit they've been really helpful especially my physio as I was asking him all sorts of questions before I got to see my consultant for my 7 week check.

Your physio sounds a bit too vague to me so I'd be ringing the hospital for their advice but if not maybe you could go and see your own GP if you can't get in touch with the hospital.

• Posted

You didn't mention the type of occupation you have but if its siethigvthat has you on your feet with any type lifting I 's see when in lies your problem. Rest is the single most part of rehab. It allows you to feel like participating in therapy to the fullest. One thing you might be short o is hydration. Being dehydrated can negatively affect your recovery immensely. Dried, stringent tissue will not bend as much and as easily as well hydrated tissue. You are drill in the process of rebuilding blood lost from the surgery. All of this is a slow down to recovery. I have had 11 surgeries, 5 complete rehabs, 2 from staph and have the 3rd prosthesis in place. I started my grind at age 65 and turned 80 a couple months ago. Nothing gets easier just because we've been through it before...as a matter of fact, its actually more difficult. I'm in the US and don't have a full understanding of your system but it makes me cringe to think you don't have access to you surgeon when needed.

• Posted

Joanne have you been doing the daily home excercises? 15 Weeks post TKR with a difficult recovery and also not walking independent not even allowed to use cane yet. But after home excercises and physio twice a week I am finally up to 115. Lots of ups and downs tho. Been as far up as 116 degrees; sit too long at the hair salon and dropped to 97. Took me 3 weeks to regain ROM.

Best if you seek some advice here. Little worrying to me that physio wants to stop for 4 weeks. There is plenty of therapy needed and not just work on ROM. Plus 4 weeks of no physio with no work on scar tissue smells like mega problems to me. Good luck!

• Posted

I think you should rest it and give the knee a chance to 'knit' onto the bone

Too much exercise can be harmful!

• Posted

That sounds familiar, I had my op 17/10/16 in hospital 3 nights. 6 Physio sessions spread between end of October & end of January. I had 2 sessions then had to wait until after seeing the surgeon before I went back.

Surgeon watched me walk in, looked at discharge x ray, looked at incision scar & asked how the pain was. That was it! All in all I was at the hospital 10 mins, if that!

Only advice I would give is warm the joint before exercise, & once the staples are out & the incision scabbed over massage daily, not a light rub, a real massage, exercise little & often if you can't do the exercises all at once. Do them ALL but not all together if that makes sense.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Marilyn excellent advice. When I was struggling with severe pain, low ROM and lots of swelling the home therapist told me to spread out the excercises over the day. That way I would still fight against the scar tissue but not overdo it.

Also my OS told me during a week off from physio to the same and just be proactive at "moving". To keep the blood circulation and of course at not even 4 weeks was still high risk for blood clots.

• Posted

Milla, yes have been doing exercises regularly and walks (slowly).  Saw GP who is happy with me and assured me am progressing well.  Am spacing physio out more and seems to help with the swelling.  See surgeon in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I have had problems since falling aged 11 so have years of problems to get on top of.  GP reassured me after physio's comments deflated me.  Just have to keep going.  Good luck with your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.