Problems with different brands/manufacturers of generic Sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm alone with this or anyone else had similar experiences. I have been taking a fairly low dose (50mg/day) of Sertraline for around four years. As it is a generic there are several different manufacturers who produce this. When I get a repeat prescription it is pot-luck which brand you get, depending on the pharmacy, their stocking policies, their suppliers, whether their wholesaler is offering something, for example.

My point is, If I have spent six months taking Sertraline by manufacturer 'A' and then I get a repeat prescription and go onto Sertraline by manufacturer 'B', it is as if I have stopped taking it. The aggravation, frustration and irritability kicks back in for at least a week and then settles down again, until it happens again maybe 3 or 6 months later.

I know that the composition of the product by seperate manufacturers must be identical (right?). I realise the placebo / nocebo effect might be in play here but the effect is identical to the rare situations I have forgotten to take it (where I don't realise my mistake until a day of suffering the same symptoms).

Is this just me? If not has anyone had any experience getting a GP or pharmacist to keep to one brand? Thanks.

Paul

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No they buy in whatever is the cheapest.whether it's identical is questionable.  if it's identical then why is it cheaper?

• Posted

It's cheaper because the original drug has gone past it's copywrite date and the drug companies charge a fortune for their own brand.  Generic makes are a lot cheaper as a result.  x

• Posted

Yes.  This has happened to me a couple of times.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on.  I talked to my doctor about it.  He said that the generics are only required to have 83% of the active ingredient.  Therefore when you are taking a low dose maybe it’s more noticeable.  I had to get my doctor to write on my RX that I can only use certain brands.
  • Posted

Hi this can be because although the ingredients are the same the way it is delivered is different. For example if it is a powder drug the particles can be finer or the reverse which can affect you.  x
  • Posted

I’ve had this problem, they can use different binders and stuff , if ur sensitive like I am it can really effect u, speak to the doctors and they can put a certain brand only on ur repeat persciption, that’s wat I had to do as I was so bad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.