Problems with medical procedures

Posted , 4 users are following.

My sedation, fentanyl and versed, didnt work during colonoscopy, I was in severe pain during the whole procedure, no one did anything about it. Then when the dr began the procedure, I said outloud, the meds are not working, hello. And the guy giving me the meds made a comment, which i felt it was directed at me..."call the manufacturer", and Im thinking, Did he just say that to me? Dr kept going, and I suffered severe pain, outloud and once I even said stop.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael  i had the same problems with the  drugs was told i should be  in  la la land  but i  felt  most of it  too they even  gave me another  dose  which did help  wonder why  they carried on  with your procedure though they  should have stopped  if you were in that much pain i think i even  felt the polyp being removed i found  watching it on the screen helped  though to take my mind off it
    • Posted

Thank you barbara. Im a Retired Army sgt and I dont complain much, but dang, for me to lay on that table, in severe pain and TELL THEM outloud that MEDS NOT WORKING and for them to act like...JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE OFFICE...i cant let that stand. I mean really, its mostly about patient care RIGHT? Supposed to be. I think i should have been given more medicine,,,it probably would have helped....thank you for your input
  • Posted

Hi Michael,

Your experience is unfortunate and should not have happened.  I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week.  I am going to try to go without sedation.  I have great concerns with sedation as I believe they may or may not alleviate pain but that their real purpose is for the convenience of the doctors.  If the patient experiences pain or is unhappy with any of the procedures, the sedation will help them to forget so doctors may discount any feedback.  It is human behavior to act better when you believe someone is watching.  I have read that most doctors and medical staff go without sedation and that doctors are more careful to avoid pain or injury if the patient is not sedated. 

• Posted

yOU KNOW, youre probably right. But Im NOT gonna just lay down and accept the fact that I had to lay on that table, fully volnerable mind you, in severe pain and have them just act like it was just another day at the office...because if youve never had one, im sorry, but it is painful. I mean its not life threatening of course, but medications can be a problem in many ways. Im older, and taking several different kinds of meds. And I bet you, the nurse or the dr never checked my list of meds im on, because, IF THEY HAD, they would have noticed that im on a medication thats in the same family as versed, which is supposed to give you the sensation called TWILIGHT SLEEP, and the other medication, Fentanyl is a strong pain medication. Versed is supposed to suppress memory, but none of it worked on me, or they faked it and didnt give me anything..who knows..but I have a sit down with the dr next week and hes gonna answer some questions from me, until im satisfied OR, there will be a PATIENT QAULITY OF CARE investigation....period. You dont mess with a retired Army sgt, hes soon to find that out and believe me, ive done my homework.....actually i read an article that stated that the results of a colonoscopy are more accurate and better, IF THE PERSON IS NOT SEDATED....however, im a WUZZ in my old age...hehehehehehe  thanks for the response, keep in touch...sincerely MichaelanjaWood, were on facebook..
    • Posted

the results of a colonoscopy are more accurate and better, IF THE PERSON IS NOT SEDATED I dont understand that  really how would  it  be different  its the same  results  they record  it anyway they see  everything on the  screen what is  going  on  I had to sign a  form saying they could  do the  colonsocopy warning  were  bowel  could be  punctured during this proceedure although i  believe that is  very  rare

would be  a colostomy bag  if  it happend but the  surgeon said  in all the  years he has been  doing this its never happend  I guess the medication  for this  does not  work  for everyone but  when i told them  i could feel everything  they did give me a  bit more  medication

• Posted

Hello, 

From what I have read, doctors are slower and take more time when the patient is not sedated.  They are also able to get feedback that might avoid injury.  I have not had the procedure yet so can not speak from firsthand knowledge.  I am opposed to sedation for other reasons so though I am a little nervous, I will try and relax and hope it is tolerable.  Will provide an update after the procedure.

• Posted

Well I had the colonoscopy without sedation.  I was very relaxed prior to the procedure.  My plan was to try and relax and breath slow.  I believe this approach helped but there are parts of the process that are very uncomfortable.  The discomfort (pain) comes and goes and I found myself tensing and forgetting to relax inbetween the pain which probably makes it worse.  I was fortunate to have a good doctor and the priocess was fairly quick.  When asked right after the process if I would do it again without sedation, I wasn't so sure.  I have a very high pain threshold but have to admit it does hurt.  10 minutes after the procedure and feeling really good without any nausea or restrictions on food or driving, the memory of the pain faded and I think I would do it again.  However,if I did not have issues with sedation, I would probably opt to use it and avoid the discomfort.
  • Posted

Hi Michael, I don't know if it's just me. Have you noticed that when you complain, not just to the medical proffession, but any complaint these days? You are always wrong!

i don't know what half the younger generation are educated in. Kidology degrees and bluffology. I too had the same experience as you but couldn't speak because of the drugs. The Dr whom I complained about has not even had a reprimand for what he did to me and he will be pleased that my medical negligence case was not worth taking to court by the time they all rallied round him and lied their professional asses off. I hope the medical proffession are proud of the things they are getting away with.  They are so busy doing their jobs like a lot of others they are forgetting that we are human beings under their treatments. I am leaving this site as I have heard enough. I am due another this year and I am dreading it. Good luck everyone. I have to get a general anaesthetic as I foyght and suffered long and hard for it and refused to be seen by the other consultant. They are not gods and they forget themselves when they are treating us badly as I told the doctor on previous colonoscopies to stop as well. Try proving it is their motto! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.