Problems with taking meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

It seems that for a lot of people, taking medication is a necessary evil.

I hate the fact that I have to take Cymbalta, but know that after many years of denial, doctor/psychiatric appointments and the wrong pills, I have to do it and more importantly, it keeps me stable.

The problem is that even after 8 years - in my case - it's still a chore, worry and, well, demoralising every time i have to sort out my prescription!!

I took advantage of the repeat prescription, get it from the pharmacy thing, but they messed it up a couple of times and I lost it big time, telling them they all needed staff training... I hate getting angry in public, and recognise it's because I'm there for pills I'd rather not be taking, but rely on to keep me sane.

Anyone else struggle with this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Meds are an absolute requirement for a small percentage, they are a choice for many more. Therapy is a realistic alternative, many choose not to take it and that's ok if that is their choice, but only in a few circumstances are meds an absolute must. I would never choose meds over therapy,meds cannot resolve issues, therapy can. Meds cause side effects. Therapy doesn't. That just my choice, other would stick to meds and not want to stick with or try therapy, that's their choice too. Just whatever works and how you want your future to be

• Posted

I absolutely agree that therapy should be given alongside antidepressants, and can't believe people get prescribed pills without the option of follow-on support from counselling. It's a frightening time and the two need to given together.

I found CBT to be invaluable, as it's a technique you can practice on your own that has an end result. Everyone is different though.

• Posted

I dislike taking medicine too. They could at least make things run smoothly
  • Posted

I do. I hate taking medication and having side efects. My doctor raised my zolft to 50 and my trazodone to 100 could not stand the way i felt. My bowls were out of control for a couple of days and i have been feeling like i am going to throw up. 

I had to talk to the on call doctor she told me to take the zoloft back down to 25 and the trazodone back down to 50 i still feel awful and my behind hurts with all my bowls and my hemroids were acting up too. 

Why does this always happen to my stomach everytime i am on these stupid meds i just can't take high dosses of medication or it makes me sick as a dog 

Just want off these meds

• Posted

That doesn't sound right at all angel, how often do you get your medication reviewed? 

• Posted

I came off Citalopram earlier this year, having been on it for a couple of years. I had a few days in hospital after an accident and due to all of the other medication it was just stopped. I don't know if I had any withdrawal symptoms due to all the pain medication I was put on.

I found it kept all of my mood at one level, so yes the depression was much improved, but I also found it very hard to get excited about anything.

But at the same time, I found I got angry more often and had a shorter fuse in the first place.

• Posted

Well that's one way to get off them!! Are you recovered from your accident now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.