PROCEDURES INFORMATION

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello there men.   Most of you guys know me for this site.  Have nothing to do but rest after my procudure so I am reading alot of papers and post on Surgical Treatments for BPH ......  I read this on Prostate net. Health Center.  I don't know if men read up on the diffrent procedures before then have them or just take the word of there doctor that this is what you need.  Do you know that 9 surgical procedure cause 3 or more problems.          From retro ejaculation, urinary incontinence, erectile dysfunction and a few others.  So to fix one problem they give you 3 or more.  To me that does not sound fare.  We want the BPH fix not more problems.  Sometime they only last a few weeks but sometime they can last longer.  Retro is forever.  We as men have to stick together.  Sometime surgery is the only answer but you have to get the information on what ever you feel is right for you but before you have any procedure there are other procedure that a new and worth the time to try. Urolift is very good for some that is what I had.  PAE works well for many men Rezum is a great option.  These three that I just told you about have less side effects. Which men are looking for.  And if you don't want to do any procedure there is CIC which works good and after a while your bladder will get back to normal.  There are many men on here that picked CIC instead of having a surgery or one of the other option which these man are the ones to ask.  Your urologist is a very well educated person but I think they forget we are people too not just a number.  Our bodys were giving to use to take care of and we have to take control of them.  We should not have to give up anything just to maybe pee a little better.  I have been in retention and had to be catheter because of bleeding. But before I had the emergency exploratory surgery I would not let him touch me because they did not know why. I was still bleeding but it took him 20 minutes to sign a paper that my prostate was not to be cut for any reason. And the 2 nurses witness it. They I sign for the surgery.  I will protect my prostate to the end.  Sorry I got off tract.  All I am saying is what ever you decide please get information on anything you may pick.  Get a few option and try everything to protect your body.  With all the new procedures that are out there ther may be one for you.  Please men take control I'm sorry but I had to write this.  Men years ago did not talk about this.            You should talk to a friend or even someone with the same problem It helps to talk. We all need someone to talk to.  You may be able to take to your wife but sometime a man needs another man to talk to.  Go on that site I mention they have a detailed list on all the procedures the information is good to know.  May all of you have good heath and a Merry Christmas   Ken        

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ken you mentioned you had bleeding, did you ever locate the source of the blood? I have, albeit rarely, lots of blood in my urine. Docs assume it from a tender blood vessel in my prostate but they're not sure. My prostate is also growing into my bladder. So many procedures aren't available to me. I would be ecstatic if the bleeding could be cured with a less invasive procedure but I don't see that happening. At 59 RE is a trade I'n willing to make to have a normal life again. HOLEP surgery seems to fit the bill. There is plenty of data regarding the durability of this procedure. If I'm going to have a procedure done I want it to last. Urolift just seems like they're "pinning back" the prostate. Just compressing it. I doubt that will help bleeders like myself. My understanding PAE runs a risk of the wrong arteries being blocked thus killing off colon , or other organs. Plus PAE seems to randonly target prostate tissue. How do we know if they'll hit the right spot for bleeders, or those with enlarged median lobe. I have considered PAE but growth into my bladder is an issue. Some of the experiences with REZUM mentioned on this site are a bit alarming. If they're going to cause pain some type anesthesia makes sense. For me, in the end, it all comes down to bleeding. I've responded well to fernasteride and flomax but bad bleeding episodes continue. The worst part is, I have no idea what is bleeding nor do doctors. 

• Posted

Yes they did find out.  The week before I had to have a repair on my Uro-lift. One of the implant let go.  When he went in he had to tighten all of them because my prostate got smaller.  I went back on my blood thinners to soon.  I just did what my doctor told me to do.  A week after I got up to go to the bathroom and I felt a flush.  When I got up and looked it was all blood.  I called the doctor and they said that I must of busted a blood vessel in my bladder and to drink alot of water.  So I drank a bottle of water.  So I had to go to the bathroom and all that came out was blood and then it stopped.  Nothing was coming out and I was have bladder spasmes.  They hurt.  They say it is like a women going into labor.  My bladder musles were trying to get ride of whatever wes in it but nothing was coming out.  I had blood clog on my prostate that had to burn them.  Was in the hospital for 3 days with a 24 hour flush.  The catheter hurt it was a 22 fr 3 way. You know the rest.  My doctor took me off my blood thinners for 2 weeks.  I don't know what to tell you about the bleeding. Even if you have a procedure done would the bleeding stop.  Now this is my opinion.  I don't want anyone saying that I'm telling you what to do.  That is your call.  But before I would have any of the procedures to cut anything out I would go for something less invasive.  Maybe the urolift they could pin the large lobe back and see if you have a blood vessal that is bleeding and they just burn it. But they would have to know where it's coming from.  Or ask the doctor to do exploratory surgery to check not to do anything else.  You would have to make sure that is all the doctor would do  They could burn the blood vessel and stop the bleeding.  You can allway go for something else.  You could get back to normal and get off the meds.  There is allways something to do before a mojor surgery.  My urologist will not do a turp or a laser unless he has try all the other options. Im 61 now but at 59 my doctor never ever brought up turp he is not like that.  He is a very caring man and he know what happen when you start cutting away at the prostate.He care about a mans feeling and that is the main goal what the patient wants.  Take care and get all the information you can.  Prostate net is the place where I got alot of information on all the procedure look it up.  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

45 yo. Had something very similar to yours - prostate intruding into bladder, forming a flap. Did  a bit of reasearch, similar conclusions to yours. PVP/Rezum sounded like a bit of crap shoot, PAE wasn't covered by my insurance. Urolift is, really, a joke. Ended up getting HoLEP on July of 2016, dr removed bladder stone during the procedure. Even though I have RE, it is really small "price" to pay for not having to get up during the night, not having to think about the nearest restroom. Quotes are intentional, but reflect my feelings about it RE - perhaps it is lack of machismo in me, but I don't feel the need to mark my teritory, so to speak. It is rather amusing when some 60+ yo is wining poetically about the absence of the glory puddle, instead advocating sticking a catheter up his penis a few times a day.

At the end of the day it is up to you to decide which procedure is the best for you, just don't be affected by what others consider worthwhile, including me.

• Posted

Hey Cleoh glad you got the information to make the right decision for you.  I think you gave up without a fight.  I had the urolift and it worked great for me. And it has worked for many.  That may have worked for you. But you will never know. I was getting infection and found out I had a stricture I had 7 in 2014 and sepsis. Almost died.  3 months later my prostate fused together.  He could not get the scope inside to check the bladder.  My doctor is great he never told be to fix it that I have to have my prostate cut out.  He new better.  At 45 there would be no way I would give it up.  I was told at 47 that I had cancer and ever with cancer I was not going to give up my prostate.  It turned out to be infection.    I'm 61 and enjoy the glory puddle and clean up is still fun. Being all diffrent we pick what is right for each of us.  There are men on here that are in there 80's that say no to surgery and they do CIC and it works great for them.  They are fighting to save anything at there age and not going to be force to give up without a fight.  Life is to short to give up anything Life takes enough. But we all have to make our own pick what is right for us and what side effect we can live with.  You are almost 20 years younger and I'm sorry that you had a problem at a young age but if your happy GREAT.  I wish you good health and I hope you stay well.  Ken

• Posted

Hi cleoh, Did you have bleeding problems also? Honestly, if it weren't for the bleeding I would hold off on my HOLEP procedure. I pee fine during the day, night time flow can be  difficult, other times its fine. No rhyme or reason for the night time problems. Plus,if I watch my fluid intake after super  I generally get up twice a night to pee. I can live with that. So for me it all come back to bleeding, and no guarantee HOLEP will fix that. On the other hand I know I'm going to bleed again if I don't do something.

cleoh, how is sex otherwise? Still the same feeling? I've read that sometimes HOLEP patients have better erections after surgery. Any changes for you?

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the post. I think it important that people are reminded that there are other options out there other than the ones their urologist recommends. 

I consider myself fairly sophisticated medically, but was honestly overwhelmed by my near acute retention issue several years ago that ended me up in the urologist's office and necessistated self catherization in preparation for a TURP. And when one feels overwhelmed and helpless, very easy to just do whatever the guy in the white coat says.

Fortunately, the self cath period gave me time to research and consider options other than the one procedure this teaching hospital did, TURP. 

As to retro, one of my concerns with TURP, I think it unconscionable the way many uro's, including mine, gloss over it almost with the same type of pitch and sensitivity of a used car salesman. Either it's not mentioned, glossed over, or presented as "not an issue if you aren't planning on having any more kids". So is that the only reason for ejaculation? What year is this!!!

I believe any responsible uro should make sure the patient has at least a couple of weeks trial of Tamsulosin or other retro producing drug, so that they can make the decision for themselves whether or not this is a trade off they are comfortable with.

I could go on and on but this is what this forum is for. If the docs gave us all the info there would be nothing for any of us to write here.

Jim

• Posted

You forgot to mention a real advantage of RE.

You can have sex as much as you can and want without worrying of fathering a child an leaving a trace that will land you in trouble and will cost you lots of fees called ALIMONY.

MK

• Posted

MK said re RE: "...ou can have sex as much as you can and want.."

--------------

If you can promise me as much sex as I want then I will reconsider RE smile

Jim

• Posted

Unfortunately to many just accept what the Uro tells them is the Gold Standard treatment for BPH. When I was told in 1994 that I needed a TURP as a matter of some urgency for my 35 grm prostate I went straight  to the reference library to do some research.

I found a series of articles by a journalist in the same situation who told of heavy bleeding, long recovery, incontinence, retro, ED and TURP syndrome. I then found and bought a book by H Salcedo a retired US Navy urologist called The Prostate: Facts and Misconceptions: Facts and Misconceptions/the Most Current Information on Prostate Problems, Diagnosis, and Treatment Options. Now of course outdated but available on eBay.

It covered TURP, TUMP and early laser procedures and prostate cancer treatments.

I wrote to him at his then private practice. He told me to avoid TURP and to wait for improved laser techniques to come on line. It was quite a long wait but worth it to avoid what my then GP agreed with saying that he would not have TURP as it is a too Bloody procedure.         

• Posted

Hey, it worked well for me but it lost short time.

Was diagnosed with PCa in August and had RP lost month.

Now, life sucks!

MK

• Posted

Jim.  That is why I keep puting post on like this Doctor don't tell you everything that is why we have to take control and look up everything for yourself.  Like you your doctor tells you that a turp nis the answer.  CIC gave you the time to look into other thing and your problem got better.  Like I said 9 out of the procedure cause retro. Some men can deal with it but there are still men that want and need it.  To me it is part of my orgasm.  They go together.  Doctor do suger coat that issue and say we don't need uit and all will be the same.  Who is he kidding.  There are some men that there orgasm is around the same but others have a problem after a procedure and sex may not happen for them.  With my post all I ask is you get all the information on anything you are looking at and talk with someone.  Either a friend or a family member they may be going through the same thing.  We have to take control of our issuse.  Take care  Ken  PS  I will let you know about the question you ask me before.  I should hear for my urologist Monday sometime

• Posted

I'm not worried about that.  Im divoced and if it come up I make sure I cover it to protect me and my lady friend.  Also sometime the clean up is fun to Ken

• Posted

That is true.  Sometime a procedure takes more they that away  Ken
    • Posted

Derek that is true glad you took control of you life you did what you needed to do.More men should do that.  Take it easy  Ken
    • Posted

MK.  I am very sorry for you and maybe something will get better. I do wish you well.  We all have to deal with many things in our life.  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.