Progesterone cream for enlarged prostate - yes or no?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've done some research on the use of topical progesterone cream to combat testosterone conversion to DHT and rising estradiol levels. Admittedly, while there is some anectodal evidence out there, not much in the way of actual double blind studies can be found. Dr. John Lee of Harvard reportedly did research into progesterone cream for men some years back.

Has anyone here used topical progesterone to normalize hormone levels, reverse the effects of DHT and shrink the size of the prostate - with resulting improvement in LUTS from the latter?

Any personal testimony or information on how to research this further would be gold to me.  Thank you.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

would  be interested to find out more
    • Posted

I don't think this thread will generate much traffic. Seems this site is more suited to discussions w.r.t. TURP, FLA, PAE, etc. when comes to BPH. My holistic doc is ordering more hormone tests (saliva, not serum), including progeterone and estradiol. She wants to get an idea of my ratios of T to estradiol before allowing me to pursue the topical cream. I have a top notch uro but I doubt he'd green light to use progesterone. My T level is low - probably because of conversion to DHT, which wrecks havoc on the prostate - but I have a strong family history of PCa, so taking T to boost levels is probably not a good idea. If I find out more I'll post it here.

• Posted

I saw some Youtube videos from a so called doctor Eric Berg, search on youtube for 'Estrogen & Your Prostate' - I'd like to know what you think because he receommends food as a way to reduce estrogen which he says is the culprit,  avoiding too much alcohol as well which causes precursors for estrogen production. I think conversion to DHT is normal and OK, in fact it's good for you if I am understanding Dr Berg who claimed DHT has been used to treat enlarged prostates - well who knows what kind of doc he really is?

Having said that if progesterone can be used to reduce the amount of estrogen or balance it out it might be a winner that's why I'm really interested.

What is PCa ?

• Posted

Apparently the guy I mentioned has been accused of being a scammer trying to sell products. I didn't know that - still what he writes might make some sense, I will look into it.

• Posted

Mike,

I wrote a reply to this last week but for some reason my computer often locks up on this site, and so my reply was lost.

I'm familiar w/ Dr Berg and the video you mention. I think Dr Berg is usually correct. What he said about DHT and aromatase converting T to DHT is spot on, and this is why DHT conversion is bad for men w/ BPH.

My holistic doc wants me to collect saliva samples to monitor my estradiol and progesterone. After she gets a read on my hormone levels and ratios, she'll decide on the progesterone cream.

It makes sense (progesterone to combat BPH), but it would be nice if there was just one double blind study out there. sad

Will keep you posted.

btw, is your post above the one you thought was removed or was there something else?

thanks

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael they eventually allowed it. I'll be interested in finding out which cream your doc recommends - I saw online some guy wrote a review saying he used a certain cream, advertised for women. He claimed it helped his BPH symptoms somewhat, but it wasn't shrinking the prostate. He said the effects lasted about 12 hours.

• Posted

Mike,

Soon as I find out I'll post here.  If the mods remove it (for mentioning a specific brand name) I'll figure out how to PM you the info.

Michael

• Posted

I wrote a reply which has no actual link but something triggered a moderation - if it does not show PM me please.
    • Posted

Hi Mike,

I wish I had better news to report.  After 3+ months on topical progesterone my PSA remained unchanged. I combine a lot of natural treatments, including Chinese herbs, acupuncture, Sitz baths, etc. to manage symptoms, so it is hard to tell of any slight improvement in IPSS score is due to any one factor.  I did have an ultrasound that showed my prostate was 90 cc.  My last MRI showed 120 cc.  Am having another MRI soon, so I will compare that to the previous one as I suspect MRI gives better imaging and more accurate dimensions than does the US.  My homeopathic doc wants me to continue progesterone.  In another month or two we'll do follow-up hormone saliva tests to see if any gains in the estradiol:testosterone ratio.  Hoping the progesterone lowers estradiol.  I wish I had dramatic results to tell you about.  You have been on my mind.

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update - it sounds like something happened, size smaller ? PSA levels are not considered to be the be all and end all, what is your PSA reading ?

I'll be interested to find out about your next MRI and other test results.

Regards,

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike,

It's been some time. I hope you're following this still. 

My PSA has gone up higher, now at 11.3. 

My doc wants to biopsy

My ConfirmMDx gives me a 6% chance of Gleason 7 or higher cancer

I'm waiting on 4Kscore results. 

My PCA3 in 2015 was 20. 

The rising PSA is a concern.  

My prostate is 120 cc.   Topical progesterone did not shrink it at all. 

I'm anxious about a second biopsy because my prostate is 33% larger (120 cc vs. 90 cc) compared to my biopsy three years ago.  The trauma of the biopsy could cause my prostate to swell and possibly cut off urine flow.

I'm not sure more topical hormone therapy will be of any present benefit. 

My doc is opposed (strongly) to Finasteride.  

I'm going to ask about going on Finasteride for 6 months to possibly shrink the prostate 20% and then undergo the repeat biopsy.  

I'll take all the side effects of Finasteride, including man boobs, to avoid acute urinary retention and rushing to the ER. 

I had such high hopes for progesterone but sadly must report it to have been a failed effort. 

I don't wish to discourage you from trying it after discussing it with your doctor. 

BTW I have had two negative mpMRIs since my negative biopsy. Both MRIs did not show any suspicious lesions. 

FWIW my uro is one of the best and most experienced prostate surgeons in the US.  If I discovered I had cancer I am confident in his skills. But it seems like we might be chasing a cancer that is not a threat while my elevated PSA is because my prostate is 4-5 times normal size. 

God bless you and your health journey. 

Michael 

• Posted

Thanks for the update Michael. Why is your doc against fernasteride? 

According to Dr K my MRI image showed my prostate to be 120 cc. He is the only doc that would give me a size estimate. My PSA is 1 but I am on fernasteride which I know halves the PSA score.

• Posted

He's against it mostly because one major study linked it with increased risk of high grade cancer.   

Finasteride does have side effects, and I suffered from a few of them when I was taking it many years ago.  

• Posted

I have been having prostate issues for about 10 years. I was on finasteride and flomax together most of that time. The reason for starting those was prostate pain. Prostatitis or BPH. The combination of the 2 drugs left me relatively free of pain. But it caused low free T. I lost my lebedo. All motivation and gained about 40 lbs. I am now 62 yrs old. I investigated getting replacement T for my lebedo and other side affects however the Dr. said it would aggravate my prostate and wouldn't do it. To make a long story short, I was able to completely stop taking the finasteride and flomax by taking a SARM. RAD-140. In fact I felt so good that when I told my Dr. I was no longer taking the finasteride and flomax (didn't tell him I was taking the RAD-140) he asked if I would want to try replacement T. I am not in the US and here they prescribed Nibedo, a 1 time injection every 3 months. I am still pretty much free of prostate pain 6 months into my replacement T treatment. Sometimes a mild discomfort if I am sitting a lot. But I feel 100% better. My lebedo is back. I feel motivated and started jogging 5K every morning. I have lost 20 lbs in the last 4 months. I would highly recommend trying it for a couple months. It's worth a shot. I do have a company I use because they do 3rd party testing of their products to make sure it is what it says. Some of the Chinese made supplements you dont know what your getting. This is just me being cautious but before I found this company I used another brand with similar results. I take 1- 5mg capsule every morning. I'm not selling anything and use whoever you want to supply it. If you use it please write back with your results. This stuff is a miracle drug as far as I am concerned. I feel like I got my life back.

• Posted

I am not familiar with SARM or RAD140

Is it a Rx or OTC supplement?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.