Progress

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all,

As usual awake through the night  (all seems quiet on the forum)

So although feeling a little bit down thought I would share something positive.

3 and half weeks and this morning my ankle swelling has gone down enough for me to see my ankle bone ( the leg is returning) lol.

im sure it will swell again as soon as I get up but at last a step forward

i have also managed to go to one crutch so going forward.

tried yesterday to reduce meds a little but have given in and back to my 4 hourly routine.

hope you are all moving forward even if slowly.

sue x 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,  don't try to cut the meds too quickly.    I did the same at two weeks and when I have ny second knee done (on Tuesday ). I will be taking the pain killers much longer.  I am 8 weeks so I can remember it all.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

E weeks is very early to drop pain meds. It can make therapy so much harder if not impossible when you hurt. Remember it's a blend of meds, excercise, ice and elevation combined with hydration and rest, plenty of rest. You think you are making a dash to a quick recovery and then the body and brain t cells yo to knock i t off and the little tinged become major pain. Stay positive and stay.active just don't try to outrun yourself. Doing it right might take 4-6 m months......trying to . beat the system can cause you to lose 2-4 months

T

• Posted

Too soon to reduce meds yet.  Pain control much more important Susan.
  • Posted

Hi susan.

Had my 2nd knee op 4 weeks this monday and i too use 1 crutch still. Taken me longer this time around than 8 years ago with 1st one.im relativly young so expected more of myself(also had 2 previous back surgeries)

This has made me very low this time but i no i have to be patient as other posts say its best in the long run but yes its so hard.it drives me mad believe me.

Do keep up with the meds-its not forever and i swear by my icepak.

4 weeks on and my leg is still black n blue and my wardrobe is limited!(if i see another pair of jogging bots ill scream!)

Hopefully you will start to see improvement soon.

No one tells you the afterwards.

Look after you

Beth.x

• Posted

Hi Susan, must agree its to early to get off meds.12 weeks tkr myself and still take meds myself. Like others do I still use ice packs and try not to over due it. I still don't get much sleep at night. My ankles will also swell and in a few days the swelling is gone. My knee is still tight and still swells. Although I don't know if its fluid or part of healing. I hope you get better as you go along. Its a slow process down the healing road.
  • Posted

Hope you managed some sleep, nights are so much worse than daytime! You are right keep slowly progressing and you will get there. I am 7 week post op and apart from night time am doing great , best wishes to you get plenty of rest when you can and be kind to yourself
  • Posted

Thanks everyone,

days and and nights are certainly up and down, I have got back on track with meds and feel different again today.

started walking to the end of the lane 100 yds and back.  Fresh air is so good.  I wish I could keep going but not sure how much is enough yet? 

is it when the heavy tight band comes.     Not sure yet how to judge and don't want to make night time any worse.   

Sue x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.