Progress at 3mths / Partial Knee Replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

At this point, I thought I would be further along. I was told by my doc that I didn't need PT any longer (a month ago), but still do PT on my own. I had an awesome therapist at PT who taught me well. Thank God I have a very patient and caring hubbie who listens to me saying, "oh my gosh, my knee is so tight, my knee hurts, I am going to try to go down the steps - can you come help me..." I can honestly say that since my surgery, I have never been pain free. My knee always hurts, I can't walk properly, yet and can't go down the stairs - only one step at a time...down with the bad, down with the bad. I am frightened to try to step down with both legs...have tried but it hurts! Is there anyone else feeling the same after 3 months?rolleyes

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good morning, Deb...

i had both knees replaced 7 weeks ago and am still in tremendous pain with the tightness you speak of.  It's like a thick rubber band squeezing all around the knee and even getting out of bed is a triump in itself.

just remember....if your chair is too low, get a nice, firm pillow to raise you and it really helps standing up.  

As as far as the steps....one thing that helped me is that my therapist recommended coming down backwards, one step at a time, that really takes the pressure off the knee.  People tell me I'm doing remarkable...but only wish this pain would subside a little faster.  Pain meds do nothing but make me want to sleep throughput the day so I'm trying to wean myself off.

it is brutal!!!  😩

Good luck to you with your progress and have a happier and healthier 2016!

• Posted

The feeling of 'rubber band' squeezing all around the knee sounds like adhesions, surgical scaring. The only way to remedy that is by intensive physical therapy and having the therapist manipulate it at the end of your session to break up those adhesions. I had to be hospitalized and have it done under anesthesia with my first TKR, they were that bad. After the breaking of the scar tissue, I was finally able to ride the bike and do stairs.
    • Posted

Jeez you are beep brave, both at the same time, yikes... If your meds are not touching the pain, get them to prescribe something else.  Your doctor does not know if what you are on is working or not, unless you tell them.  They are guided by what the surgeon has decided is good for you, what they feel works for people in your situation, but it does not always work out the way it should.  Ask for either stronger meds or something else.  Sometimes it may feel like you are standing in front of a tasting board, but you will find something that agrees with you.  Good luck with your continuing recovery.
  • Posted

It does take a lot of nerve to make that first attempt at walking normally down a flight of stairs. I did it by starting with the last step only, that way if I fell, it wouldn't be too far. It takes at least a 90-95 degree flex in order to accomplish this without pain. I'm six weeks post op and I can do stairs the normal way without pain but I feel that my knee just isn't strong enough to support myself going down a long flight of stairs, so I'll give it a couple of more weeks before doing that.
    • Posted

Try walking backwards, using the same muscles but in a different order, when you become comfortable, walk up the normal but 2 at a time and slowly, that wat you are making your muscle work
  • Posted

I am 3 1/2 months into my partial knee replacement and my recovery seems to be going backwards. Started great good ROM left hospital with 90* then progressed to 110*. Had 12 week check up surgeon pleased with it even though I said it seems to be getting stiff and swollen, X-rays were fine. I am now I icing with a Cryo cuff ice machine 3-4 times a day can hardly bend my knee to 90* and get up or down stairs without great pain. I am walking 2-3 miles every other day. Wasn't given any physio to attend only booklet to follow which I have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.