Progress expectations

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am now 5weeks post thr and wonder what others experience is at this stage. I still get tired and go to bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon mobility coming on but still use both crutches when out and about. Not sleeping that well and am awake most nights for an hour or two. Pain is much less mostly from within the wound plus soar heels.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To help with sore heels I found to put a pillow under my leg so that my foot wasn’t touching the bed as for mobility everyone is different at 5 weeks I had no crutches or sticks I’m now 12 weeks post op and I’m back at the gym and are enjoying my pain free life 
  • Posted

Dear Anna

Steady progress is what counts which will be aided by doing the exercises and walking with both crutches until such time that you can walk with a good gait and without any sign of limping.

Rest when needed as your body has a lot if mending both mentally and physically to do!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Anna...don't rush it. I have up and down times still coming up on 8:weeks post op. Everyone is different and I  am just getting off my cane around the house. By the end of the day I feel tired and can have pain. You will get there. I  feel much stronger now when I  think back to even 2 weeks ago. Patience and practice and rest are key!

• Posted

Hi Anna I am exactly 4 weeks post posterior THR but I sleep on my side. I too get very tired and don’t sleep very soundly throughout the night. I take co codamol just before I go to bed but am awake in discomfort in both legs and buttocks four hours later. I have a little walk along the landing with my crutches, stretch a bit, sometimes make a cup of tea, then I have to take pain meds again or I’d never get back to sleep. I get up about 6.30 and don’t take anymore medication until bedtime unless I walk around quite a bit which nearly always makes my pain come back. You say you get out and about on crutches. That’s very good. I have no confidence at all to go for walks outside on crutches. I’m so scared I’ll slip. But my OT is coming again next week and I believe I will be walking with just one stick which I’m not looking forward to at all. 
  • Posted

i was very tired and didn't sleep that well. I alternated between my recliner and bed. Bed seemed like a torture cha,beer trying to get comfortable. For me, things turned around  on week seven. I am now 13 weeks and I still use a walker or cane when out and about. 

• Posted

Hi Mary your journey sounds very much like mine as I too kept alternating between a recliner and bed and find it very hard sometimes to get comfortable. I’m glad you’re feeling much better now and I hope I will too when I get to week 13 or so. Some people seem to find recovery a piece of cake don’t they. But I’m certainly not one of them! 
    • Posted

Ps sorry I meant to say when I get to week 7 not 13. 
  • Posted

You sound like you're doing fine.  Don't lose sight that this is a huge and brutal operation, and your body has been put 'through a mangle' whilst on the operating table.

I used a cushion between my feet to support the covers off my feet.

For sleep, I used my iPod and soothing music to get any sleep I could.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi Anna

My experience so far: I am 4.5 weeks post thr and can now walk around the house, cook etc without using sticks, but I still use one stick when outside/ going round the supermarket etc. I have a little soreness in the wound area and am stiff for the first few steps when getting up from my chair, but otherwise I think I'm doing pretty well pain-wise - I stopped taking painkillers in week two. This is my second thr which is an advantage in terms of confidence and knowing what I can and can't try and do. Like you I don't sleep that well but I've been alternating sleeping on my non-operated side and my back from week one this time which means I haven't ended up with sore heels (I did have sore heels after my first thr when I stuck to the six week sleeping on back rule - I bought sheepskin bootees online  then which helped a lot).

My six week check up is on Wednesday (actually 5 weeks because of xmas) and I hope to be cleared for driving then. Freedom here I come!

Wishing you the best of luck with your recovery - one thing that's clear from this very useful forum is that everyone heals after the op at their own speed and in their own way.

sjhips

• Posted

Hi sjhips, are you able to walk to your supermarket as well as go round it with only one crutch? I think that’s amazing. I am 4 weeks and scared stiff of walking outside but I know I will have to. It’s a long way from where I live to my supermarket but at the moment I’ve got a sort of phobia of going out by myself. I hope this soon passes!!!  
    • Posted

Dear Sarah

Can you ask a friend to join you for a walks to build your confidence?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I don’t have a huge circle of friends Richard and certainly no family around here. I asked a friend who took me to another friend’s house last week if she would support me if I needed it. She said she couldn’t as she herself walks with a cane and is also waiting for a THR!!!  Another couple who are good friends are off on a winter cruise and everyone else lives a long way away from where I live. I’m surrounded by a lot of very elderly people Richard who, I think, cant get out much themselves. 

I will have to join a friendship group near here for coffee mornings and go from there I think. How things change when we get older!! 

• Posted

Dear Sarah

That's a big shame and I do understand having recently moved 180 miles to an island off the coast of England and insufficient time so far to build a network around me so I feel a bit marooned!

Good luck, Richard

PS where do you live Sarah?   I did look at your profile but you have not added anything there about you so far.

• Posted

Sarah, my husband drives me to the supermarket - the nearest one is 12 miles away!! He is also on hand when I'm walking outside  and I'm very lucky to have his support. I would be anxious about going outside by myself at 4 weeks, especially in the recent frosty weather. There's no mobile reception where I live so i wouldn't be able to summon help if anything happened.

I was wondering if Age UK might be able help you - they have volunteers who will help people get out, go to the shops etc.

• Posted

I live in Clacton on Sea on the seafront.. so really lovely views which compensate in a way for having to stay in a lot at the moment.
    • Posted

Oh yes I never thought about Age UK. That’s a good idea so thank you for that. I will phone them tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Dear Sarah

That sounds really nice. Where I live it is about a mile from the esplanade so a short walk to get there. Wish I had a sea view!

Hope you find someone to team up with soon.

All the best, Richard

• Posted

Dear Sarah

I hope it all works out for you so that you can enjoy getting out more often.

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.