Progress in gaining ROM slowing down

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all I'm now 12 days post op left TKR. On day 4 I managed a bend of 90 degrees and by day 9 at physio I managed 98 degrees. However, today, I'm really struggling to get even an 85 degree bend! It seems that, despite doing my exercises regularly as prescribed, my progress has come to an abrupt halt. Has anyone else has a similar experience?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Trevor the same thing is happening to me now I was great in the hospital 1day after surgery I could get 92 on my good knee (I had both done same time) and 85 on my bad knee . Then the blocks and the pain gel they put in your knee wears off .I went to rehab but still had pain meds work back to the good numbers but now no real pain meds just good Tylenol and I am stiff and in pain all the time I am just trying to work thru it .Stay strong this too shall pass. To date I am 118 on my right knee and 95 on my bad knee
  • Posted

From all my reading on several forums for the past few months, (and believe me I have done a lot of reading) I think when you go slowly and give your body time to heal from this major surgery, you will be much better off. Probably in the first week you were just trying to recover, and weren't working as hard with your exercises. But the harder you work, I'm thinking your knee is probably swelling and you're losing your rom. I say this because I have worked as hard as anybody in my pt, at home and outpatient, and at 4 months out, my rom is not what it should be. So just take it easy, and rest and don't push yourself so hard. This is just my opinion from my personal experience. Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Hi Trevora you will get days when you think you are going backwards that's absolutely normal. Don't get to despondent. I'm 10 weeks post op now and yes I had bad days as well. Just go with the flow keep up with physio despite of your bad days. Chin up it does get better but you are still early days. Are you using your ice pack and pain and anti inflammatorit's still. May I advise you to keep up with these as I was told it's all part of the healing process.

Your doing ok

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Yea, I'm icing regularly and taking my meds. It's comforting to note that this is fairly normal. I'm encouraged by this. Thank you.
    • Posted

Yes, still. Rey early days. The first 4-8 weeks are the most challenging.

im at 14 weeks, also, left TKR and am just beginning to have a more normal life. Dr. Says a year to heal. Be good to URSELF and keep doing what ur doing 😀

• Posted

Right now forget about the numbers. Thsts like playing poker and counting your money all of the time......it takes your mind off the game and puts it on the end result. Stay focused on the process and the results will happen. All to often too much of the haste that comes with all of the push can cause you to forget about the importance of rest, hydration, proper icing, taking meds on reg basis. Get back to doing the things you were doing early. You are way too early in the process to be concerned about the final results. Rest......rest....rest....
    • Posted

Hi, since you have a lot of experience with knee surgery, I'm wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm 4 months from my tkr. I wasn't making any improvement since about the first 6 weeks after surgery as far a rom (around 100) or pain relief. Last week I had a manipulation. My dr thought I had scar tissue,said he got 120 while I was under the anesthesia. I went to therapy the next day, and only got around 95 with the therapist pushing.

I've had a lot of nerve pain for the past few months, and have not been able to sit with my feet on the floor without being in pain and really uncomfortable, impossible for me to ride in a car without being miserable. My knee feels like there is a steel band around it. I sometimes think I can feel the edge

of the implant below the kneecap. I also have pain and swelling. I've had 3 therapy sessions since the MUA, which were very intense and painful. The doctor prescribed 3 sessions for 3 weeks. I'm really considering quitting the therapy. Do you think I should go any more when I'm not making any progress? I've been taking therapy continuously since my surgery. These last sessions have made my swelling worse. I go back to my dr on Tuesday. I'm so tired of the pain and wish I had never had this done. I never have a moment of peace anymore except when I take my pain pills and a nerve pill and go to bed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Betty

• Posted

Hey Bi,

I have read about manipulation but not to informed on that but I know with me I work every day with the coconut oil to rub on .my scar and surrounding areas of my leg to keep the scar tissue from Harding .with all the things you have to do after TKR (had both done at the same time) its so confusing to know whats the most important things to do, is the ROM or the straighting,or PT? I am learning from these forums there is no right answers, keep reading, take care of yourself and rest.pray you will be well soon best of luck

• Posted

One of the things that you and many others learn the hard way, surgeons are less than straightforward when it comes to the expectations post tkr. I guess they think their job is done when the wound is closed.

Everyone is different therefore healing comes in various stages. As far as staying with therapy, absolutely but talk to your therapist about tailoring your excercises to your need. Don't let the therapist push you into pain. My 1st time through I pushed myself hard. The second time I backed off, rested more, reduced the # of times a day I was excercising and made sure I was slowing down the entire process. More time doing the session but fewer sessions. I found this to work for me. Take your pain meds an hour before therapy.....move slowly and make sure you are adquately icing immediately after therapy. Nerves are the slowest part of any surgery to heal. It takes months . I know you feel like you are going nowhere but most medical professionals will tell you that you and the knee aren't one for a year. Be patient, try massage with a high quality oil (not baby oil or that type lube). Just be kind to yourself. Drink a lot more water than usual. A dried out, dehydrated system just doesnt respond.

One other thing. If your meds aren't doing the job, talk to your primary care Dr. There are plenty of combination meds out there to take care of pain as well as depression. Stay with this group. The difference between the people on here and your Dr.....the people on here have been through the pain and suffering. Have faith in yourself and your body....you will make it.

• Posted

Thanks for responding to me. My therapist is trying to follow my doctor's orders, and give me aggressive therapy. That is what I had for the first month. It didn't work then, and I don't think it's going to work now. So, I think I'm going to do what works for me. Thanks for your help.
  • Posted

I second what OFG HAS SAID, I TRULY BELIEVE that most surgeons think their job is done after the surgery. I don't believe that they know how to relate, except to operate. 
  • Posted

On a better note: things do get better . I am 14 weeks out and truly feel I have turned a corner. No pain meds, barely any pain the last few days. Of course, that could change on a dime. There is hope, just keep up the good work!!
  • Posted

You are very early on in your recovery so no need to worry. Concentrate on reducing the swelling and continue to do your exercises. Ice, meds and elevation! I had a setback at four weeks that worried me greatly but the advice on this forum calmed me down and was spot on. You will make significant progres in healing for the next few months. Take care,

Judy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.