Progressive Lenses After Cataract Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had cataract surgery in both eyes. Prior to the surgery I wore progressive lenses, and knew I would have to wear them after the surgery as well. The corrections done during the surgery were for far vision and an astigmatism. Everything was progressing well until four days ago when I began getting terrible headaches. I think the problem has been caused because my refraction appointment is in 10 days--my eyes need to heal before this visit--and I'm having vision problems related to using a pair of cheap reading glasses (with the prescription my opthmalogist gave me) for close vision, and a second pair (different prescription) for mid-range vision.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No, I haven't had the problem but wonder if yes, maybe they are strained by the cheap glasses.  Hopefully after you get a new prescription, the headache goes away.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding! I actually think it's less a case of cheap glasses:-) than it is of an inability to use progressive lenses. They are miracle glasses to me although I've had them for many years. They allow me to do so many different activities without thinking about whether I'm using close vision, mid-range vision, or far vision. In addition, having to change glasses frequently is truly a pain, and having to juggle three pairs (if I include sunglasses) is more than I could truly stand if it wasn't just for a few more weeks. I usually use clip-ons rather than a separate pair of sunglasses, and I feel like all I'm doing is putting glasses on and off, and misplacing them!
  • Posted

How did the progressive lenses work out.
  • Posted

I too am struggling with what to do with Cataract surgery and what type of lenses to get!!  I have astigmatism and wear progressive lenses for far, intermediate and near.  I wear my glasses all of the time.  I cannot imagine having to put on glasses intermittently for different tasks.   I still work at a computer job full time and I want to be able to see the dashboard in the car. 

I had been considering fixing the astigmatism and far vision - since I keep hearing about problems with the toric, multifocal lenses such as halos, starbursts, not being able to see clear enough. 

Given what you fixed:  are there progressive lenses for intermediate (computer) and close that will work with your choice of having fixed your astigmatism and far?   What are they suggesting?

Are there issues with the toric lenses?

thanks.

• Posted

I just did the following and I am very happy. I had my right eye corrected for distance. I then agonized for a month in indecision and then had my left eye corrected with a toric lense to correct astigmatism set for near at minus2. I had the second surgery five days ago. Right now I can see my phone for texting, my computer and iPad, and can see the TV and drive without glasses. I’m really pleased. I did do a trial monovision contact lense trial for 3 days before the second operation. I had the right cateract corrected for far before I did the monovision trial  and then did a monovision contact lens trial with a contact lens that corrected astigmatism and set for minus 2. Even with a cateract in my eye I found the monovision to be great. It is now even better without the cateract. 

It seemed a lot of people who who knew nothing about eyes and vision, or monovision contact lens trials give me advise to not do this. But I spend a lot of my time looking at my phone, texting, using my iPad, and I thought I would be unhappy with distance only lenses. 

Even  though I have worn progressive glasses for 15 years, I always lifted them up to read. I could never get used to them.

I still will get a pair of progressive lenses as a backup butI don’t think I will really use them much. Maybe for driving at night,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.