prolapse after child birth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry if tmi- I'm just looking for some answers so going to do a brief timeline.

2years ago had my first child- tore inside quite badly but seemed to heel well

4 months ago was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism due to this I was passing more stools than usual and I started noticed a bulge whenever I went to the toilet.

Saw my GP and she said my prosterior wall was lax. Eventually saw a Consultant in gynaecology on Thursday who said it wasn't a prolapse as such but a hernia caused by childbirth. He said to leave it alone or if it gets worse then to go back to GP to have a operation to get it corrected.

My question is has anyone experienced this? Is it still classed as a prolapse? The "talk" afterwards was really brief plus I felt very uncomfortable after my examination that my mind went blank!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have heard of this Hevatreva. Actually a nurse emailed me awhile ago and explained this type of condition she had as well. Hers was hernia type prolapse as well. She never said she had it since birth. She just said it was annoying to her and wanted to ask me if I ever heard of it. I never heard of it before, but she described similar to what you are describing. You have to make sure your bowel movements are always easy moving, lots of fibre and fresh vegtables in your diet to prevent you from doing too much pushing if you become constipated. I will private message you and explain what the nurse is also doing right now regarding her condition. We are not allowed to mention names of things etc the forum which is understandable.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Thank you! I will have a look! I was a bit confused as I'd heard that you can do pelvic floor exercises etc. But he just said it can only be fixed my operation! i think I might go back to my GP and ask for a deeper explanation if I can?
    • Posted

Pelvic floor exercises are very gentle and they will strengthen the pelvic floor. I this hernia very painful to you or does it just bother you because you feel a little buldge? If you can go to the bathroom okay and urinate well etc and you are not in pain, then you should be able to take care of this with the help of a physio therapist maybe. Ask you GP about exercises etc. Again, it all depends on how severe your hernia prolapse is?

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

They said it was a 1st degree- it doesn't bother me at all but as soon as I felt it down there I thought I best get this checked out! I might ask about physio! Thank you again x
    • Posted

Well do not wait for it to get to stage 3, like mine is Hevatreva. Start doing those pelvic floor exercises once you finish up with the doctor if you are following up with him or her. A prolapse does get worse with age because our pelvic floor that holds up our bladder, our uterus , our rectal etc. of course gets weaker because we are getting older and so is our body. Especially once we go through menopause. So start taking care of this now and do what you can to stay healthy. I wear my support garment everyday now and forget I even have it on. Its like second nature to me , like wearing my bra. When you need support then support should be provided and if not, then do what you can to make sure you are comfortable and healthy.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Yes, I have.  I have a rectocele -- a hernia in the fascia.  Mine is large but its the same thing, just a bigger hole so more stuff bulges through.

Look up "rectocele" -- that's what a hernia in the posterior wall is.  It's easier to find information with the right term.  

If you caught yours when it is small, that's great.  I think conservative treatment is usually (1) taking fiber and doing other things to prevent constipation (2) doing kegels to strengthen pelvic floor (great as long as your muscles aren't in spasm).  (3) A pessary, if appropriate.

My understanding is that you want the surgery after you are done having kids.  Also, my doctor told me that when you are nursing you are in a low estrogen state and estrogen helps the pelvic floor be supple and strong.  It won't undo the hernia, but maybe they think you can recover a bit more as you get farther from childbirth?

If you noticed the bulge when going to the bathroom, I'm wondering if it bulged out of your vagina when straining?  Also, do you have to split (press on the the back wall of your vagina) when going to the bathroom.  If you do, I'm wondering if it's not all that small after all.

• Posted

I meant to add that I first had symptoms of my rectocele after the birth of my second child.   I was 31 at the time.
    • Posted

Hi DorryC,

Thanks for the reply the info has been really useful (I didn't even know that's what it's called)! Consultant said it was caused by a tear when I gave birth and it's not so much a tear but where the scar tissue it's like been stretched! In regard to what you said it only happens when I go to the toilet but it's not all the time and it's only ever so slightly! He didn't tell me much just to keep everything soft and that if I have to use say my hands to push anything out on a regular basis then i will have to have a operation to correct it! I've been doing pelvic kegel exercises since I went to my GP for the first time and think I notice the difference!

I can see that it can't be like cured by just pelvic floor exercises but they prevent it from getting worse?

• Posted

I think the pelvic floor exercises are supposed to help keep it from getting worse. 

My rectocele is pretty big and and splinting (using your hands to press the back wall of your vagina when using the bathroom) is normal for me, unfortunately. I've read that constipation can make the tear worse.  Being really good about fiber etc. will make it easier to go to the bathroom but also help you keep the hernia small.  If it stays small, you may be ok without surgery for a long time which would be great.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

I almost forgot!  Heavy lifting can also make it worse --  getting the kids to climb into carseats, strollers etc. and come to you as soon as you reasonably can will help protect your body.  You had your first baby 2 years ago and toddlers can be really heavy!  I have one and I'm not perfect but I try to get him to climb when I can and if he wants snuggles or time with me, we lay down to do it instead of carrying him around.  Other heavy lifting is bad too, but I find it a lot easier to say no to lifting a couch than a toddler.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.