Prolapse after prolapse repair?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can this happen. I'm having that Sensation again of preside, a new bulge has also appeared infront of my perineal now, it's difficult to pass wind depending on what position I'm in. I'm crying today I'm so upset and disappointed. What can I do?

It will be 2 was this Wednesday since my anterior repair and tvt. I'm on antibiotics for infection in my stitch wounds outside and possibly inside. Feel so low

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Is it 2 weeks since your repair kelly? You've mentioned 2 so I wasn't sure. If that's the case the swelling is perfectly normal and I've mentioned this many times before it gets worse before it gets better. Just confirm this kelly xx

• Posted

Hi matron, yes it's 2 weeks tomorrow. Just feels like a complete new lump at the back which want there before 😢

• Posted

I can feel it when I'm walking which is didn't before and can see it when I look down there standing with a mirror but not when laying down

• Posted

kelly I'm sure this is perfectly normal. It's very common for ladies to think the surgery has failed. You must rest though x

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry to hear that you are understandly feeling low at the moment. I speak only as woman suffering from prolapses myself and am awaiting surgery; my surgeon has said that the repairs can fail and you'll find other women on this forum that that has unfortunately happened to them. But similarily, you'll hear from women that have had new sensations due to swelling and healing and as you mention, possibly from infection. I hope you are able to contact your clinician and get reviewed as soon as possible. Please do reach out further if you find it helps to share what you are going through x

• Posted

If your only 2 weeks it's normal I'm 3 weeks the bulge isn't visible but I feel like there is a bulge more do now when I'm walking around for a while or doing certain things. I had posterior repair and sling. However if you can see a bulge maybe see the gp for opinion. 🙏🏻

• Posted

I can feel it when I walk and see it when standing but not lying down but I can see the anterior repair bulge too so not sure. Doubt my go will do anything other than wait for my 6week appointment with my consultant
  • Posted

Kelly, I hope Matron's kind words have reassured you.  At 2 weeks things will be still swollen and tender.

I don't if they are used in the uk but I was given chewy tablets containing simethicone (sp?) that seemed to break up my wind into little bubbles that were easier to pass (okay, read that back and can't decide if it is tmi or an extract from Roald Dahls The BFG!)

I am also given gallons of mint tea to drink also that is meant to be helpful for wind.

Hope you feel better soon and are resting as much as possible.

• Posted

I've just got some mint te today thank you. It's just strange the wind comes down then it's like traped right down low and so goes back up

• Posted

Slow typing...it is so lovely how supportive everyone is on this forum! 
    • Posted

I know and thank you all so much the support on here is amazing and I especially thank matron who always responds so quickly and is clearly very knowledgable due to her background which is so helpful and which I trust. She's really helped me through these last 2 weeks as you all have ??

• Posted

Hi Kelly, 

I am now 3 weeks post anterior and posterior repair. I can confirm what Matron says. I too have a couple of bulges which are worse after walking or standing for more tha a few minutes. The discomfort comes and goes so I rest as much as possible. Try not to worry, it is still very early days. X 

• Posted

I've now worked out it's 2 weeks kelly. The other ladies have reassured you I hope. The reason you are more swollen is because the blood supply to the area increases bringing extra nutrients and blood cells to help with healing. The blood cells also help to prevent infection. It's the body's way of protecting you. I know it is painful at times and upsetting but the chances of the prolapse failing at this stage is extremely rare. You'll be more emotional and low anyway even if everything was in your view going well. You could try ice packs or frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel to help but taking your pain relief is important. Don't let the pain reach such a peak that you're in agony. There's no reason why you shouldn't take it 4-6 hourly as prescribed. Pain hinders recovery because it tenses your muscles so don't be a martyr. Wind is common because your bowel will have been handled albeit gently. Look at your diet. Fibre although normally recommended can cause more problems because it can bulk the stool too much and make it difficult to pass. Stool softeners and a laxative at this stage in your recovery is essential. Lactulose is good but don't confuse it with stool softeners, it's a laxative so if you're prescribed that take something like Dulcoese which you can buy in pharmacies and some supermarkets. Please rest. Feet up on a stool or better still go to bed but walk around every hour. And please don't worry xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.