Prolapse bladder and bowel repair problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had prolapse bladder & bowel repair surgery 6 weeks ago . All was going well even though it was a very slow healing process. Week 5 I started feeling like my old self . Had a few bladder problems with emptying but it sorted itself out . I went out this weekend (week 6) had a few drinks and all was fine at first then my bladder went into spasm and my lord the pain . It went on for hours and still not great 2 days later . Has anyone had similar problems and will it settle down in time or will this always happen after a few drinks?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If you mean a few drinks are alcoholic ones then it sounds as though the alcohol has irritated the bladder but that would usually occur if you drank a lot of alcohol. Your bladder which is made up of muscle is handled a lot during the surgery so it can be a bit bruised however are you absolutely sure it was your bladder that went into spasm because most ladies wouldn't be absolutely certain?

• Posted

Hi Matron , thank you for your prompt reply . Yes it was alcoholic drinks and it was most definitely was my bladder that was in spasm . I just hope it settles down because the pain was excruciating.
    • Posted

It can be very painful. You could possibly have some inflammation in the lining of your bladder so if it doesn't settle you may need antibiotics and buscopan which will help.

• Posted

Thank you , I will see how I go over next day or two . I just pray it doesn't continue to cause me trouble . I'm due back in work tomorrow.

• Posted

Julie I have just reread your post and noticed you are going back to work. Obviously I don't know what you do but please be very careful. 6 weeks post op is quite early after 2 prolapse repairs which are classed as major surgery. Try not to stand for long periods and get as much rest as you can when you get home. Feet up and early to bed! 

• Posted

Hi Matron , I agree 6 weeks is a bit soon & he did ask if I wanted another week off when I went for my check up but unfortunately I won't get paid for another week but thankfully I'll be at a desk all day so nothing strenuous. I'm not up for anything strenuous but I'm dying to get back to normal as I did nothing but eat & rest while recovering. It really is a slow healing process. How long will it be before I'm back to normal as such ?

• Posted

Hi Julie, how are you feeling now? I am 7 weeks and am also having problems with my bladder, like you last week the pain was awful but was told it will settle. I hope your first week back at work goes well.
    • Posted

Hi Christine , still some pain & constant need to empty bladder , so much so it's putting me off even drinking water & I don't drink tea or coffee. So frustrating !! I just pray I made the right decision to have the repair because I couldn't cope with this continually flaring up .

How long did your doctor say it takes to settle ?

• Posted

You need to drink plenty of water, tea and coffee contain caffeine so it's good that you don't drink those. If you have a mild infection the water will flush it out and by drinking less you could make things worse. Following surgery you are more prone to dehydration as well so don't cut down.

• Posted

I'm trying to drink as much as I can but the urgency to go gets too much for me & in work I can't be running to the loo constantly. I thought I'd be a lot better after 6 weeks. Can't imagine when having sex again either .. I'm terrified !

• Posted

I think we have made the right decision, but we just need to be a bit more patient with ourselves. I saw the pelvic floor nurse last week and she said I had been doing too much (walking / standing) and put a catheter in because I was not emptying my bladder properly. We do need to drink plenty of water plus try double voiding. Empty your bladder, then stand up and void (wee) again. She didnt really give give me a time but said it will get better.

This may have worked because my bladder has slowed down a bit this week plus the pain has improved, but I am still worried about an event I am going to tomorrow night because It involves a train journey and standing up all night - and alcohol!

• Posted

The nurses told me to make sure to double void to empty my bladder so gosh who is right !? I will try to stand up after I go and then try go again because I know myself the bladder is not emptying properly. In fact I probably quadruple void !

I'm happy to hear yours has slowed down so fingers crossed it continues . I hope you manage to enjoy your night out , I'll be thinking of you & please god the alcohol won't irritate your bladder .

• Posted

Of course I wasn't thinking you have work to consider. 6 weeks is still early in terms of recovery from this surgery. It's usually around the 12th-16th week before you are healed and the sutures have dissolved. At 6 weeks you won't be feeling too good julie so rest when you get home and sex is advised from 6 weeks and it's more common for ladies to wait until around 8 weeks. You will still be swollen and if you can't rest it will take longer for the swelling to reduce. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Matron , I wish I didn't have to go back just yet because I know myself I need more rest . I will be coming home and feet will be up don't worry! This time in work it's really busy so I just hope I cope with 8-5 ok . I'm going to talk to my manager in the morning as we've a meeting because if I feel any way unwell or in pain I will be heading home . Thanks for the advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.