Prolapse or what? I'm really scared right now

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been dealing with problems with Vaginal Atrophy for 6-8 months but today I am experiencing something like never before.  Maybe I just never looked or noticed.  But I seem to see a bulging like tissue coming out of my vagina.  I have been feeling like I have a UTI again but I don't know.  This bulging thing is got me scared.  Is that possibly a prolapse of some sort? Naturally, it is late at night right now and I don't want to go to the ER.  I will call my doctor tomorrow and hope I can get in.  But what should I do for now?  If anyone out there has any advice, I would sure appreciate it.  I'm sure scared, shaking with nerves and hoping for some answers or advice.  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Is there a nurse line or an oncall doctor that you can talk to?  Sometimes they can tell you if you need to go in or not.  It can be reassuring, no matter what they say.  If you think something is really wrong and want to see a doctor then you should go, but if not I would suggest lying down and resting.

If it helps, I had a bulge like that at one point when I had a bowel movement and I pushed it back in and then kept my fingers pressing gently against the back wall of my vagina so I could go to the bathroom.  It hasn't popped out since then but that's because I splint when I have a bowel movement. Turns out that is a very obvious sign of a rectocele and I do indeed have a large rectocele.  It needs fixing, but not go to the ER right now sort of fixing. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying Dorry C.  I finally told myself to just try to relax and did lay down.  I have the burning sensation which seems to accompany the vaginal atrophy and uti symptoms.  But when I examined myself in the mirror and saw that bulging I freaked out.  I use Vitamin E capsules for the vaginal atrophy.  I insert them and that was when I felt that bulge.  I kind of eased it back in a little bit.  That didn't hurt or anything but when I looked at it I just got scared.  I think I may have a number that I can call but I feel so reluctant to do it.  I guess I am just afraid of what they will tell me.  I did have to strain a bit when I had a bowel movement earlier today...maybe that is what pushed this out of place.  I am just so worn out with worrying about it all.  It is so ironic that this stuff gets so out of control at night...I've felt lousy all day but never gave it a thought.  Again, thanks for replying.  I may call the help line to see what they advise.  The trip to the ER costs a fortune and I will be there all night ... I don't know what is worse.  
  • Posted

Sounds like you have a prolapse Pat. It is not life threatening. However, I would be getting a urine sample done to see if you have a Urinary Track Infection again. You would want to take care of that with antibiotics of some sort. Pushing and straining causes the prolapse to buldge or come out more because again, you are pushing or straining down there when you go to the bathroom etc. Hope you can relax and find out about the UTI as soon as you can.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Hello Lynn

This is really just a catchup to say Im still out here and i sympathise with Pat it is so frightening when you first notice and yes it is uncomfortable but i am adament not to have surgery and yes we can manage these things but each of us is different too!

Your garment continues to helpand I need to order another

Into Spring over here but still very cold only 9 degrees today !

I will message again have been so busy !!

All the very best 

Kindest Regards

Angela

O i meant to say thankyou for the info on Vit E I havent quite resolved that yet our brands are different I havent come across the one you mentioned

Anyway boxing on

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela

You are going into Spring and we are just finishing summer now and going into Fall. I do feel sorry for Pat but want her to know that there is life after prolapse and if one is not in pain or anything, its not that hard to deal with if you focus on other things and not just a prolapse all the time.

You can order that vitimin E that I use off the web site and it is very good , all natural. It works very well.

When you mention my prolapse support garment, I have to tell you another email I received yesterday from a lady in the UK. She informed me that she was having complete relief with my garment and that she cannot believe what a difference it is walking around now without anything hanging out. She said she works in the caregiving field.She wanted everyone to know that I helped her more then the hospital did because I made something that helps with her everyday life. She said otherwise she said she doen't know what she would of done, because she will not have surgery and doesn't want a pessary. I am so, so glad for her and can't tell you how happy I am when I receive these emails. Yours too Angela and so glad you are doing okay. Take care of yourself and pop in once in awhile to let me know how you are doing. I wish Pat good luck with this prolapse and I am sure she will be okay once she realizes that is is not life threatening, just another part of life that affects over 80% of the women population. This is known as the silent epidemic and it sure is. Nobody told me about it and when I first saw the prolapse coming out of my private area I though I had a tumor. That was over ten years ago and I am just coping fine. Hope others can too.

Blessings to everyone

Lynn

• Posted

I forgot to mention something Angela. When I first discovered I had a prolapse, I started to do all the research I could on it. I read every article, read all the negatives, all the positives, everything you could ever imagine. But the one thing that I came across that made me laugh and made me realize how common a prolapse is, is when I read about women back in the Egyptian times. Way back then and since the beginning to time women have suffered prolapse. Back then, in the Egyptian times they use to stand women on their heads for hours because they saw the prolapse goes back in when they are upside down. I had to really laugh at that one, because I thought once they stand up again, the gravity just pulls it down again. But the good thing is, once you go lay down in bed the prolapse does go back in place and stays there all night long. So when anyone feels a little down about your prolapse, just remember what the Egyptians did. It gave me a little laugh and still does. Its not that bad if you can go to the bathroom and have no pain. If there are other significant problems then those problems need to be dealt with in whatever manner each lady chooses to deal with it. There is life after prolapse, so  just remember that. There are a lot worse things out there that people are dealing with, such as cancer and not being able to walk or talk from a stroke etc etc. Everyone has challenges in life and no one gets a free ride. Be strong and you will be able to meet those challenges head on. Especially when you have lots of hugs and support right here on this forum. Supportive people who are willing to help and give good advice is the best medicine in the world. Good luck with all of it.

Blessings to everyone

Lynn

• Posted

Sounds like a prolapse to me Pat.  I got my husband to look at mine a couple of weeks ago and he said it looked like a baby crowning. But don't panic, although we'd all prefer not to have them, worse things happen at sea!
  • Posted

Hi Pat,

Sounds like a prolapse.  I felt terrified when I first noticed mine.  Sat in a public clinic for 4 hours to be told "it's only a prolapse".  You can see your doctor when she comes back from holidays in 3 weeks."  I did wait - most uncomfortable and it got worse each day.  OK at night and early morning but bad by evening.  I was referred to uro-gynacologist and had surgery 12 weeks ago yesterday.  I have not felt this well in years (I am 71).  If you are a good candidate, I would definitely recommend you go for it.  If not, there are things you can use to help but the surgery is a permanent fix. My surgery was a hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair (the falling bladder and uterus caused damage to my bladder and to my bowels).

Having said that, you should know this site saved my sanity.  Whenever I had a concern post-surgery, someone was here to help no matter what day or time it was. 

Take care and keep us posted.

Nickie

• Posted

have you had any surgery?  if not then yes contact your gp as this could be prolapse i no im 18 hours later let me no how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.