prolapse pre Op - Will tight trousers make it worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a prolapse and you may have seen on my other conversation that I've been diagnosed by gp and waiting for first hospital appointment in April. I have put some weight on over the winter and all my trousers are very snug, could this make things worse for me, I've reading being overweight isn't good so I'm on a diet now but clothes still very tight, I'm reluctant to go out buying new clothes when I'm hopeful to loose the weight, lost 2lb this week so made a start!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Well done sharon losing 2lbs. They say that if you have a prolapse you should try and lose weight if you need to. But they say that for a lot of condiy. However as a nurse I know that if you need surgery then the heavier you are the harder it is to recover and you are at increased risk of problems following the operation eg chest infection, thrombosis. 
    • Posted

What do you think about tight clothing for now?
    • Posted

Do you mean supporting your prolapse? If that's the case then why not? In the 1970's that's what was recommended. It won't pop it back into place though.
    • Posted

I wondered if could cause more pressure on the abdomen and make it worse, that's my concern?
  • Posted

Well I did lose 18lbs.before surgery.  Being house bound, I keep putting on weight..  It's discouraging.  
    • Posted

Must be very difficult being house bound, but that's amazing weight loss, well done!
  • Posted

Hi, my friend is waiting  for hip surgery and has been told by her doctor it would be an advantage if she lost 10% of her weight prior to surgery to decrease complications. She is slim now - an Australian size 10/12. I don't yhink tight pants are going to Cause any problems with the prolapse. Keep up the good work with the weight loss! 
    • Posted

To be honest my motivation to loose weight initially was for a holiday at Easter but now I realise what ever is going on inside loosing some excess weight can only help matters, hoping to loose enough weight by the time I have my first hospital appointment in April that it is never raised as an issue by the gynaecologist, I think I need to loose about 1.5 stone, I'll try my best!
    • Posted

I wish you well Sharon. I have lost 12kg over the past eight months following the Dr Michael Moseley 5:2 diet. Feel pretty proud of myself! Was just normal middle aged 'overweight', but so glad I have lost it. I had a pretty speedy recovery from surgery. Don't know how much of that can be attributed to being a healthy weight though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.