prolapse repair-post op check up?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Please can I ask if you have recieved a check up after your prolapse repair?  I had a posterior repair on the 24th oct.  My consulant doesn't do a follow up. 

I'm just curious if most people have a check up and if so what your experience was. Is it a chat or an examination?  Have some people had nothing?

I'm considering visiting my gp practice but wonder if its worth while and also would a female gp be better.

Thanks

Donna ( Manchester uk)

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna

I only had a follow up with the consultant because there was a problem. It was a full examination. I made an appt myself with the GP who then re-referred me. I found the GP (male) was very knowledgeable, and not at all fazed by me going back to ask him to check if everything was still holding.

I do think a follow up should be arranged as a matter of course. I had more questions weeks after the procedure than I had beforehand, or during the hospital stay. There is a great need for reassurance. People could always cancel the follow up if they felt they didn't need it.

• Posted

Hi Moira,

I agree reasurrance is needed after this op just to put my mind at ease that everything is ok. I think i will make an appointment with gp. I'm due back at work on 6th which will be 6wks from op so i will go sometime that week incase i need longer off. I've not driven anywhere yet.

Thanks Donna

• Posted

Hi Moira,

You say in your reply your saw your consultant as there was a proplem. Can i ask what it was and hoe long after the op? 

I have now emailed my consultant for an appointment as im concerned it may nit have worked fully.

Thanks

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna, within days of the operation I tripped and undid some of the good work. Just bad luck. This was followed by a nasty infection of the wound. Second time round with the posterior repair I wrapped myself in cotton wool for months.

If you feel something's not right and you can get an appt with your consultant directly that would be best.

Keep us posted. All the best.

• Posted

I had two follow ups one at six weeks and one at eight weeks both were internal examinations
  • Posted

Hi Donna, I had my checkup at 3 weeks postop. It was examination and chat. I have another one scheduled for 3 months time. I would definitely have a checkup because you want to know things are healing ok and probably have some questions. I had UTI diagnosed at my checkup which I didn't know I had and now receiving treatment for that. Regards Carol (Aus) 
  • Posted

Hi donna

i also got my posterior repair and perinium repair on the 24th october, i was told at the hosp that my review would be in 6/8wks but i have recieved a letter with an appointment for the 22nd jan... 

I will need to go speak with my GP about this. 

How are you finding the recovery i found the first week tough but seem to be ok now. I have no pain worth taking any medication for, i feel uncomfortable if i has stood too long. I still have some stitches i can feel down there but i have noticed i seem a bit too tight sorry tmi i was shocked and surprised by this. 

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

I'm doing ok, not in any pain now but somtimes a bit of discomfort.  I still sometimes struggle with Bm's and can sit for a while but when i get the urge i have to go. Hope this gets better as i never had this trouble before. 

I have asked my consultant for a check up and i am waiting for a date. I'm a bit worried it has not fully worked. Things feel different this week compared to when it was first done.

I have done no lifting or house work over the last 4 weeks.  The most i have done is walk around shops this last week or 2.I don't think i can have ruined it but need a bit if reassurance. 

Im due back in work 2wks today so want to see the consultant before i go back if poss. 

Hope you continue to heal well.

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna, I had an anterior repair in August, a post op check up with the consultant at 8 weeks, where I just sat down and chatted for a few minutes, answered questions about how I felt, etc. and that was basically it. I was expecting a full examination, but as the surgeon came to see me in hospital the day after my op and had said it was all quite straightforward, and I hadn't reported any problems at the check up, I suppose they just use that as their guidelines,& think it not necessary to do any more.

All the best, Kathy

• Posted

Hi Donna

I have a follow up/final appointment 3 months after the op. Initially I

thought this was a long time to wait. But I guess by then everything should be back to normal and healed properly. I think if my Gynecologist hadn't sent me an appointment I would have gone back to the GP who refered me just to talk things through and possible for an examination as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.