Propanolol for Anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was ive Propanolol from doctor for my anxiety......buti have a phobia of takin meds that can cause side effects...... has anyone taken them or is currently taking them had any nasty side effects?? Do they make you feel out of it?? I just need something to stop me feelin anxious all the time xx

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I took Propanolol for a while but my GP told me it was a bad idea after a while - can't remember what she said, but I don't take it now. I didn't get any side effects.
  • Posted

I have been on 40mg propanolol for anxiety for the last 10 days and have only taken 1 a day but on the box it says I can take 3 a day. Haven't noticed any side effects but my heart rate is around 60 bpm so scared it may go even slower so have made an appointment to see the doctor this week. Wonder if diazapam would be a better option.
  • Posted

Hi, they don't make you feel out of it. They slow your heart rate down and improve the physical symptoms of anxiety. The only problem for me was weight gain and I got a bit obsessed with my heart rate checking it all the time. The are good though.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am taking propranolol and the only side effects i get is slight dizziness and dry throat. I find them very useful for slowing my heart palpatations.

Zoe x

• Posted

Ok, i may just bite the bullet and ive them a go..........i hate the feelin of ''bein out of control''........so need to be with it as i work in a kitchen x
  • Posted

Hi, 

Firstly you should speak to your GP or if you under a Profesional then him/her at the end of the day they are your team and know you, and your particular situation. 

Secondly - Propranolol (Beta Blocker) is a very effective old school first line cardiac drug that works mainly on the action of epinephrine and norepinephrine and is used in a wide range of settings. 

Propranolol is generally seen as a very safe drug and I am yet to see or hear of someone dying from the prescribed dose, I have however seen it save numerous's lives. 

If your GP, of all people, have prescribed you such a drug, I would be happy - and the dosage is most likely a very low dose, considering you can go into the 320's + mg for many different situations per individual. 

Follow what your GP has said, and don't take too much notice of and around side effects - as drug companies put every side effect imaginable on the list whether reported or not for covering themselves. 

Propranolol is a well-tolerated drug and is far safer and superior to moving onto horrendous drugs such as Antidepressants and or Diazepam. 

All the best,

• Posted

I was given 20mg twice a day smile
    • Posted

I suspected as much, it is a good drug and is used by many for Anxiety related issues - many people use Propranolol for such reasons, you would be surprised to know that a lot of performers and artists take this particular drug to calm the nerves.

Best of luck......  

• Posted

Hey, ive been on them for about 6 weeks,ive been fine with them,i take a lot of diff meds and had bad side effects before but these r fine,just try and take them,if u try them in the evening before you got to bed then u wont b up worrying, they are also slow release so you wont get a full whack in one go smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.