PROPANOLOL FOR ANXIETY AND PALPITATIONS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been prescribed propanolol 10mg to be taken 3 times a day for anxiety and palpitations, I haven't took any yet and I am scared of doing so in case I have any bad side effects of them, can someone reassure me who have had them before and what was the side effects from them? I know all medications have side effects but just didn't want them to make me worse etc and I know they will effect everyone differently but if everyone had side effects that are quite similar from them I don't want to take them sad also for past few days I keep getting a choking feeling at back of my throat making me need to cough constantly feels like someone is trying to choke me sad I sound crazy but I just feel so unsafe in my own body if that makes sense like its trying to tell m something!! My heart is constantly thudding and feels like its beating fast all the time sad iv been assured by so many doctors that I haven't anything wrong with my heart (ecgs and blood tests) but why can't I get it into my head that it is horrible anxiety amd im not going to die!! Its as tho my heart is telling me get to hospital constantly I despise feeling this way and know im not alone but I just wish I could do something to stop it will the propanolol make me feel better? Im 22 and have been forced out of work by this iv been took of work for 3 weeks to see how I am its that bad I love my job but I just feel like I can't cope with my heart doing all this pounding making me feel im going to collapse sad sad sad

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

A single dose of my propanolol is 4 times yours (40mg). Only side effect I've had is trouble sleeping
    • Posted

Thank u for getting back to me what is it u got them prescribed for mines to slowy heart rate down and calm me down how old are u? X
    • Posted

Is the propanolol helping you? I've noticed my anxiety is getting better and my heart don't race like it did before. I'm on day 8 of taking them..
  • Posted

Hi I am on day 4 or 5 of these tablets though I am only to take them once a day before food

I have *touch wood* found no side effects as yet with the tablets, they seem to be helping but I think it may take a couple of weeks or more for the tablets to get into my system and take effect

I have more physical symptoms of anxiety that I struggle with and hoping that with these tablets/self help and cbt I shall be able to deal with it xx

• Posted

Thanks girls, well I might give them a try then I won't know if they are going to help if I don't try them yeah im the same its the physical side of anxiety I am struggling with like the bad chest pain and fast heartbeat and palpitations as I say doctors assure me its anxiety but im just not convinced ; ( what physical symptoms do u suffer with? X
    • Posted

I suffer with dizziness, and throat feeling like it's going to close and now I'm on the propanolol I am experiencing a very dry mouth/throat which is yucky but just another one to cope with I guess

Could be worse xx

• Posted

Hiya Laura, ive been on these for almost a year, to start with I was on 80mg(slow release) once a day they didn't help at all then was put on 40mg twice a day (instant)they are great for palpitations and feeling on edge,no side effects, I always felt that my heart was going 2 burst out of my chest but this med has really helped me BIG TIME xx
    • Posted

Hi lesley thank u I think what im going to do is see how I am and when I start to feel panicky im going to take one see how I feel im not sure if mine are instant ones but there not slow release so I think they could be I also get pain under my left armpit and tingling hands and left arm but as I say they assure me its noty heart as it would show in my blood tests im just so confused because I don't know whether to take the tablets or not but its my pounding thudding heart that's bothering me the most and doctor did say I could have something called costochondoritis inflammation on my costo bone because I had chest infection about 2 months ago and its left it inflamed but i just feel im getting misdiagnosed all the time I only feel safe when im getting ecgs done but that's ridiculous I shouldn't be like that sad iv only suffered since 8 months but its just getting worse sad most of the time I feel I can't breathe then I start panicking and think im having a heart attack sad thanks for your advice though I will keep them on me and try one before I go bed as that's when im worse and see how I feel can I take cocodamol with them as I take them for the pain in my chest sad doctors also assured me im to young to have heart attack but I see stuff on news about all young people dying etc and its scaring the hell out of me im constantly got my hand on my chest checking how fast my hearts going its so scary sad but a few people have said they haven't side effects so I can at least try them they might be best thing iv tried or could be the worst but I won't know until i tty im just so scared im going to have a heart attack any minute x
    • Posted

Aw chic, you're not going 2 have a heart attack honesty, I felt the same for a long time, lost count of docs and hospital visits I made I was convinced I was having a heart attack but all ecgs and bloods were fine, its really scary stuff but just keep telling yourself you will be ok and you will,good luck with the meds chic, your gonna be just fine xx
  • Posted

Its not your heart everything your saying is what was happenning to me, Ive had every test took all the medication and after 26 miserable years it was my lymphatic fluid was slowing down and stopping and when it stops its in the area of the throat, things that can cause this , tight clothes medication, mattress, sleeping on stomache, back injury, neck injury, bad posture, keeping your neck down looking at phone or tablet, broken nose in the past, not exercising, not enough water, take hot baths or start taking sauna baths and drink hot beverages. I wouldnt take the meds it didnt work it will stopped your system from moving. Good luck and it wont kill you.
  • Posted

I take propanolol 20 mg twice a day and I feel so much better. I suffer from similar things as you but I have high bp.. I had no side affects to this med.. Good luck but listen to your doctor about the meds.. They are not addicting. Xx
    • Posted

I gotta take them as my bp is very high.. Which if not taken care of I increase the risk of stroke/heart attack..
  • Posted

Hi Laura I get this too where my heart will start racing out of nowhere. It happens sometimes 3 to 4 times per day but goes away quickly with deep breathing and meditation. Also drink lots of water. Did you know that eating 2 handfuls of unsalted cashews has the same affect as 1 anxiety pill? I suffer a lot from skilled beats or PACS as well. I hate these. Do you have these?
    • Posted

Hi Frank thanks for your reply its awful isn't it at the moment iv got bad pains in my left arm too and my stomach is hurting me with the fluttering in my heart iv had iy all day but its causing my heart to pound which is really scaring me im shaking so bad don't know how to calm down and no I don't know what they are can u explain please? X
    • Posted

I had the same things as you. I would literally lay in bed all day and just feel my heart, count my beats per minute, freak myself out. The more you think about it the more pains you will and the faster your heart will be. I finally got my chest pains to go away just by ignoring them and telling myself it was my anxiety. I take hydroxizine (it is like an allergy medicine with an anxiety ingredient) at a very low dose. The main thing is to just keep busy, and keep tellinf yourself it is only your anxiety doing this to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.