Proponal and mitrazipine newly prescribed

Posted , 5 users are following.

recently went to see private psychiatrist who stopped my long term dosulepin due to mental health crisis, in which I was put on diazepam as started having panic attacks., 3x2mg daily. he put me on proponal 10mg x2 twice a day, I wrongly read it and was only taking 2 a day instead of 4 for week, now on full dose. also reduced dosulepin over few days and went on mitrazipine 15mg one a night for 2 weeks now 2 a night for last few days, they seem to calm me an help me sleep, but found in last week I wake up in awful anxious state scared, tearful, panicky, heart racing and sometimes vision floaters, I am assured its normal part of getting meds in system and carry on as can take up to 4-6 weeks to settle, anyone else had this experience? I feel awful most of day till late PM and struggling. I have not taken any diazepam for 4 days as felt same with and now without. be grateful for any advice.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

that is alot of med changes in a short amount of time. that would cause a brain upset. you cld be in withdrawals from diazepam or the other drug. mirtazapine is a very strong drug and often causes problems in the morning. not sure why you are already on 30mg as less sedating at higher doses

• Posted

thanks for for advice, dont really much about these drugs.

• Posted

so you are on 30mg of mirt after 2 weeks of 15mg, and no longer taking diazepam. this would give you the increased anxiety. if you can, carry on taking a diazepam first thing, while you are getting used to the mirt. taking it first thing will pre empt the anxiety, so you should get much, if any. if you can, take 1 and 1/2 of mirt, rather than 2. mirt is a quite heavy hitting anti depressant. at 22.5mg it doesnt usually cause too much anxiety. 30mg though can be too stimulating for a lot of people. dose increases of 15mg are relatively large, too large. better to go from 15mg to 22.5mg, than 15mg to 30mg. if you can do this, think it might sort you.

• Posted

so you are on 30mg of mirt after 2 weeks of 15mg, and no longer taking diazepam. this would give you the increased anxiety. if you can, carry on taking a diazepam first thing, while you are getting used to the mirt. taking it first thing will pre empt the anxiety, so you should get much, if any. if you can, take 1 and 1/2 of mirt, rather than 2. mirt is a quite heavy hitting anti depressant. at 22.5mg it doesnt usually cause too much anxiety. 30mg though can be too stimulating for a lot of people. dose increases of 15mg are relatively large, too large. better to go from 15mg to 22.5mg, than 15mg to 30mg. if you can do this, think it might sort you.

• Posted

I am after nearly a month on 15mg mitrazipine think it's this drug that's making me feel awful, I thought it was added proponal so come off that over week ago an feel no better, actually worse, I take the 15mg dose at 7pm then I am calm and sleep good, but as soon as I wake up it's the horrific anxiety so I restarted my 2mg diazepam a week ago properly but having awful days, and just got advice off gp to take 4mg diazepam now and try one proponal and go see gp in morning, I actually feel like going back on my dosulepin as was ok on it 20 yrs with no problems, I had bit if choking crisis a few months ago plus other stuff that through me into mental health crisis so decided to go see private psychiatrist, who changed me to these new drugs, and he did stay stick with diazepam too I assume for reason. due to all this I not eating again no appetite, already lost 2,5st since may, but that is also under investigation to see if I have other strong on or if just anxiety or pills I'm on, on olazmapine, in meantime. thanks for listening...

• Posted

sounds sensible I will re add the 2mg diazepam when I wake up. and talk to dr about other, no used to being on on two separate lots was used to just the dosulepin at night. I dont really know much about these drugs so assume they have hit me hard, thanks for advice.

• Posted

Hi im on 30 mg mirtazapine ive been on it 16 years i never started on 15 I was put on 30 straight away to help with Insomnia.

I think what you are feeling is your body withdrawing from the dosulepin as I feel completely the same if I try to reduce my medication hope you are feeling better soon x

• Posted

update to my treatment, well i had a crisis with anxiety and are under Crisis team for now.

i went into therapy for a week a few weeks ago for counselling/therapy etc. my mirtazipine was upped to 30mg when there, and since home it has been upped to 45mg, but because i was not feeling any better i seen nhs psychiatrist an been put on quetiapine 25mg twice a day since friday and its made a difference i must admit. i have been able to reduce down on diazapam with hope of stopping completely by end of week. Its been a difficult journey but hopefully slowly getting there, but would not wish anyone the awful anxiety/panic i have endured over last 4 weeks. also i am trying to get eating back as i have lost 3 stone since may due to another issue mentioned in earlier post and the anxiety making me feel constantly sick.

Ps i do the calm mindfulness every morning too it helps as well i have upgraded as you get more but plenty of free ones on you tube. worth a try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.