Propranolol Dependency and Subsequent Withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

There are so many posts about withdrawal, but I am posting yet another one! I had a syncopal episode 3 months ago and after some monitoring, I was told I had Orthostatic Tachycardia. They started me on Beta Blockers and after trial and error, I have been taking Propranolol for about 2 months. I am super sensitive to medication, so have been wanting to get off the meds and just try lifestyle changes to manage the tachycardia. Every time I have attempted to lower the dose even a minute amount, I get palpitations, extreme tachycardia with activity, chest pressure, anxiety, etc. But if I take the Propranolol, I have a normal heart rate and just feel dizzy all the time. I am feeling completely freaked out because I have gotten so much worse since starting this med and also feel like I cannot get off of it. I am hoping to try again by decreasing the dose by 2.5mg per day for two weeks at a time before decreasing again. It may take me 6 moths to get off! I tried to appeal to my Cardiologist and he just wants me to stay on it and take other meds to help with the dizziness! Seriously, I had mild tachycardia before and now I feel like poo all the time! I am terrified of the coming withdrawal and suspect it is going to be terrible. Are there people out there who have gotten off of it successfully that have such an extremely sensitive reaction to even the smallest dose taper? Needing encouragement and success stories because I am totally freaked out!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Megan - since Propranolol is basically just an adrenaline killer, could you begin raising your heart rate working out so that your system is ready to go lower in dose? Have you tried Cardizem/Diltiazem? (Cartia) It may buffer energy surges in the fibers around your heart without totally shutting down adrenaline. It sounds like anxiety is huge for you - but what I do with propranonol is I just take it if and when I have a panic attack like you described. It takes 10 -15 min. to work or so. To manage it so I don't have them all the time - I take Celexa (Citalopram). Zoloft works well too (Sertraline). Both are SSRI's but help to stop attacks. Also I take Cartia once a night. I get no side effects. I have SVT - Tachycardia like you. Lifestyle helps a lot too - binaural beats and tapping help to reset. Many things on YouTube. Also - a BIG one for me is reading - when I get really into a book, my system basically settles and sleeps - distraction is a VERY successful way to deal with anxiety when done right. I also did some work on learning how to be alone, like/love myself - and never felt lonely again - which caused anxiety and the need to be reclusive. It's odd. I am much happier now. I am not alone anyway because there are so many of us!! Big hug- Justine

• Posted

Footnote - I don't take Zoloft. Just to be clear - with SSRI's - you should never take more than one kind at a time - and don't overlap them. I just know that that is one that is also good for dampening panic attacks. Some people like Paxil as well. Wellbutrin works for some, but can cause ear issues, and it's not ok for people with epilepsy. Also, see a Dr. (I am not a Dr.) who you have researched - sometimes it just takes tweaking things. Medication for anxiety is NOT one size fits all. 😃 - Justine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.