Prostatis

Posted , 13 users are following.

My Prostate is always swollen, it feels that way all the time. And the physician documented it with MRI and Ultrasound. I also have urinary retention. It appears the swelling is effecting my ability to become aroused. I can not get an erection. I have had 2 biopsies. They want to do greenlight. But I want to know, why is it always inflammed. How can the inflammation be stopped. Any theories?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

• Posted

They should be able to give you some meds to stop that.  A friend of mine has prostatis and he has had it for many years  He is only 32  He takes his pills and watches what he eats.  And he is doing find.  Don't be taked into have any surgery done if you can take a pill for it.  Your prostate has a infection..Take with your doctor if he does not what to give you any meds go see another urologist  Ken

• Posted

You may want a second opinion. If you have enlargement, you could get pae instead of green light and this is less risky. I had mine done 6 months again by dr Sandeep Bagla at vascular institute of Virginia. Travelled all the way there for similar problem and have done great since. Good luck and keep us posted
    • Posted

My original uro didn't prescribe flomax or finasteride. He just scheduled me for TURP. Luckily work got in the way of surgery. After some research I went another uro and requested flomax and finasteride. I do well on these drugs but want the problem gone so I'm scheduling HOLEP in January.

• Posted

May have to try it, it is really uncomfortable. First I wake up alot to go to the bathroom at night to urinate and my sleep is not restful, and I can not get a good nights sleep.
    • Posted

HOLEP is interesting. Do side effects include retrograde ejaculation and incontinence.?
    • Posted

PAE?....What's the limit in prostate size plus reasons Dr. Baglia or another Interventionist Radiologist would feel a particular patient was a good candidate for a PAE?....

• Posted

From what I know, there is no upper or lower limit. He had told me during the consult he has done prostates as large as 550 grams. Just give him a call or email and he can discuss your case
    • Posted

Um  If the meds are working why have aprocedure that may cause you more proples.  That is don't under stand.  So may men do not have that optioion  Have a good day  Ken

• Posted

Mark  Yes it does.  Any procedure that cuts away at the prostate will case retro.  They damadge the veins the bladder neck   and the seminal vessels And other things.  So your schweed,  Have a good day  Ken
  • Posted

If it is truly prostatitis, antibiotics generally work well, though you normally have to take them for longer periods, like three to four weeks. I developed prostatitis recently after having a foley catheter removed and am still taking the antibiotics now - they are working - things feel much better down there. In my case, I have had chronic bacterial prostatitis on and off for some twenty years. Nobody knows what causes it, but some of us (like me) are more prone to it, I guess. If I were you, I would ask my doctor if antibiotics should be taken.
    • Posted

How did they diagnos your prostatitis? I often thought I had the non bacterial variety but most urologists just say its BPH and prescribe flomax and fernasteride
    • Posted

I get the opinion that BPH is just a diagnosis of convenience that covers all bases. Prosatitis from whatI have read, especially chronic and non bacterial is very tricky to diagnose and treat. I am still not convinced that my problem is BPH, as most of the time I show no symptoms but have now had 3 episodes of AUR; no fun at all!
    • Posted

I'm in the same boat as you Jezzaman. Changing diet has helped quite a bit. I miss eating spicey food though. I'm 59 so I think in the uros mind I'm too old for prostatitis

• Posted

Interesting, Im 55 and they keep saying Im very young to get AUR!

HOWever they want to do TURP!! I have had a PAE which clearly hasnt prevented me from having AUR. Do you drink or are you tea total?

• Posted

Never developed taste fior alcohol. Been drinking decaf-tea/coffee for last 15 years. I had classic prostatitis symptoms ie pain in penis, burning urination, pain around butt hole, blood in urine ( lots of it ), pain orgasm . My GP, 2 nurse practitioners, and an RN  all said it sounded like  prostatitis, uro say BPH.
    • Posted

My urologist gave me ciprofloxin 500mg twice daily, but he said he did not want me to take it because of the side effect of tearing tendons.  I do lots of weightlifting and it made me nervous.  I mean I am sure there are other antibiotics. I think I took Azithromycin 500mg twice daily for a while but it gave me diarrhea or very loose stools.  I think he gave me doxycycline. I could ask again.
    • Posted

Yes If I have spicy foods and salads with lots of spice it does get worse.
    • Posted

It is the weirdest feeling, it always feels swollen down in the area. Like you have a thumb or finger that is infected. Rarely can I get an erection. Maybe once a month. I have lost feeling in the area. It feels numb.
    • Posted

Hi Ptienx

I also got a UTI within 24 hours after removal of a Foley catheter which had been in for 2 weeks with no infections!

I wonder how this happens?? I have read other people with the same thing? Ho wlong after removal of the catheter did you get the infection?

• Posted

I am thinking that when you had the foley in ; there was a free flow of urine and when they took it out, you probably had urinary retention and got a bacterial infection. Bacteria reproduce fast. Not really sure though. MD would know.
    • Posted

Hi 

YEs that makes sense I guess. Its a kind of chicken and egg question though, which came first becuase as soon as I was feeling rough, I started to retain and within a few hours was in total retention and then spent 4 hours waiting in Emergency room at hospital to be drained!

THat was the worse pain I have ever felt! It took 2 weeks to fully recover from the UTI!

• Posted

In my mind, the uro might have been guessing. I've also read that the symptoms are almost identical between bacterial and non-bacterial - hurts to sit, inflamed/itchy urethra, increased urgency to urinate. I thought for sure it was a UTI, but the uro said prostatitis. Other than he wants to do a simple prostatectomy (which will NEVER happen!), he's been spot on with his diagnoses (BPH) and treatments since my AUR. The Bactrim cured my symptoms and discomfort in just a few days until I had a bad reaction to it. I'm now continuing on doxycycline for another week or so. I am now symptom-free.

• Posted

It's hard to say when the prostatitis started, but the symptoms started almost immediately after the catheter was removed. FYI, I had to wear that foley for about four weeks until I could pass a void test. I failed two of those tests (complete retention) at week 2 and week 3 which required a new one to be put in. During the whole time it was in, I experienced a lot of discomfort from the catheter pulling, causing symptoms about the same as UTI/prostatitis. So I can't say for sure when the infection actually began.

• Posted

Don't let them talk you into a turp  watch what your drinking and what you are eating.  How long ago did you have the PAE  Ken 

• Posted

I have one qustion for you. Because you had it for long time. Does it affect on Fertility. Can i have children or it is so difficult.
    • Posted

Hi Ken

My PAE was on Feb 9th this year.

I called the Radiologist who performed it and he said he hoped it was a minor blip. So dont worry I have no intention of submitting to the urologists any time soon. That would be the absolute last resort.

The only procedure I might go for if I had could never pee on my own is a HOLEP laser.

You had a Urolift didnt you Ken? Has in been a success? how long ago?

regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Hello Jazz.  I had my April of 2015  so it is over a year.  Doing good.  I had one problem.  I had to have one implant replaced and the other 3 tighten  My prostate got smaller.  Don't know why  My doctor thinks it was the cispro 1000mg for a month  got a prostate infection.  After I had my procedute  I was not on any pills and they took the catheter only 3 days later and pee fine  Burned soom but that went away.  I'm not telling anyone not to have anything done just be sure what you have done  Ken

• Posted

moudar - I honestly can't answer the question on fertility. I had a vasectomy over 30 years ago.

• Posted

I have a friend He is 32  He has it had has 3 kids  He has been dealing with it from the age of 17  Dont worry  Ken'

• Posted

Thank you so much. I was not sleeping. Thank you ken
    • Posted

Ptientx, most prostatitiis is not bacterial (only 5% is bacterial according to wikipedia). So you are a little unusual. Antibiotics often SEEM to work in men with nonbacterial prostatitis because of their anti-inflammatory effects. Google "prostatitis antibiotics are anti-inflammatory". Good luck!

• Posted

Hi

It work for me. Even the doctor not found baktria. I think you say that's correct. I finished my medicin now after 76 days with antibiotic. I feel better but I have pain in my legs and my back from side effect of long term of antibiotic.,

• Posted

Thanks, mal23592! You could be right. I wonder if I could have made the problem go away by just drinking a lot of water to flush it out.
    • Posted

No Problem  If you have anymore question I can ask my buddy  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.