Prostatitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Over the past 12 months i have been tested for IBD, which proved negative, referred to a urologist who diagnosed kidney stones, which were subsequently removed, however the pain and discomfort did not go. A visit to an orthopedic surgeon identified arthritis in my hip, however all of my stomach pain has returned and have now been diagnosed with Prostatitis. I have almost completed a 3 week course of antibiotics, which i do not think have made an ounce of difference as the pain has become gradually worse. I'm waiting on the results of an ultrasound but curious if anybody has been through a similar ordeal and how they manage Prostatitis?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I may have been through it but but 3 uros refused to call it prostatitis. I had classic symptoms. Anyway, I think a few guys here have had tests done on prostate fluid to determine what bacteria is infecting them.

• Posted

Out of interest, did you get the pathology report for the kidney stones? I ask because if they were calcium then you should limit calcium supplements you may be taking.

• Posted

Yes they were calcium, however, no guidance from the Dr as to a specific diet or supplement intake. I'm back to see him this week so will ask that question.

• Posted

Ok. So that means if you have been taking calcium supplements, first check your calcium levels. If they are ok, you can hold off on the supplements. If your level is low you should take the supplements every other day. I did this after diagnosed with a similar kidney stone.

• Posted

I'm a bit confused as to how your kidney stone pain became arthritis in your hip and then a stomach pain which is now prostatitis! Is this all basically the same pain or does it indeed move around? How did a doctor manage to diagnose prostatitis from a stomach pain? As a mere female I'm not sure what happens in a man but I would be very sure about whether a pain was in my stomach or my lady-area!

Was the doctor very positive that his prostatitis diagnosis was correct? Three weeks of antibiotics is not good, especially if there is nothing for them to deal with. Antibiotics destroy bacteria, the good along with the bad. Your stomach and gut - which may or may not have problems - rely on GOOD bacteria to do all of the work of digesting your food and producing your healthy poo. If you take ABs for 3 weeks they will disrupt all of these hard working bacteria and your pain, whatever is causing it, may well be getting worse.

Can I guess if your doctor gave you Ciprofloxacin? This, or Ofloxacin, are the recommended ABs for prostatitis. They are very strong, from the fluoroquinolone family, and they have been shown to affect the gut for at least a year. Whatever is causing the pain it may be a good idea to start taking probiotics to help restore the good bacteria in your gut. Capsules, natural yoghurt and fermented food like sauerkraut are all good sources - and you want a good variety. One danger with these antibiotics is that they clear out the competition which allows super bugs like C.Difficile to get a grip.

Another danger with them is that they come with a very long list of possible side effects (look at the packet leaflet). You may not get any of these, of course, but please do take care if you are prescribed another course of a fluoroquinolone in the future. The effects are slowly cumulative so taking two or three courses may be enough to kick off painful problems that can last for a long time.

I'm not at all trying to scare you but please do take this as a warning and perhaps get your doctor to undertake proper tests to find out exactly what is causing your pain - it sounds rather like he's making wild guesses at the moment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.