Prostatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

im 36 and for past couple of weeks I've had problems when urinating...slow to start, weak stream and going regularly. IT is also difficult to "push" it out with any force. I have developed pain in the perinium. I went to doctor yesterday and she took a urine sample. she used the strip and it said it doesn't show bacteria "as such". not sure what she meant by that. She has sent it for a culture bit has given me antibiotics for 2 weeks even though she said there was no bacteria...I don't understand that as surely I shouldn't be taking antibiotics if they won't clear it.

she also did a DRE. ut was tender when she touched the prostate but she said it was fine and smooth. me being the worrier that i am is still worried it could be something worse. she told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen bit these aren't touching it.

Any advice on pain relief?

how do you cope with the constant toilet urge?

when will the antibiotics start to work? (if they even help at all)

thanks

Alan

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

hello I'm currently going through the same thing as you. My dr also gave me antibiotics with no signs of infection, I think its standard procedure to be honest. The meds that worked for me was the med known as doxycycline, even though I had no signs of infection. Tell the dr that your meds are not working . The prostate is tricky to treat all together. But here's the thing, I didnt have any signs either and the doxy toned things down, then was put on levofloxacin and that toned it down to a very manageable level. And, the ibuprofen didn't work on me either. I had to change all my sugar intake such as little to no soda or sugary drinks! I noticed a change that day we peeing. Also what i have read and heard from the drs , the bacteria could be lingering in the prostate alone and wouldn't even show up on a urine sample.. So in short change meds, and if you need any more advice, please msg me. take care

• Posted

thanks for that. I was sent to A and E because I couldn't pass urine. they did urine test which was clear. also did a CBC and kidney and liver function tests. all fine.

I felt like I was really bursting too pee and they scanned my bladder to see how much urine was in it. there was only 80ml! I couldn't understand how so little urine was giving such an urge. I got a DRE again and they said it felt fine so sent me home with cocodamol.

back at the doctor today and they changed my antibiotics to trimethoprim again yet another DRE which was normal so she said therefore she wasn't going to do a PSA test.

its just this urge to pee thats the hardest to deal with. it feels like its in my penis itself as opposed to the bladder and is worse when I lie down. I hardly notice it if I am up and about. last week it was difficult to get an election and it was painful to ejaculated but that seems to have eased a bit. I definitely don't drink as much water as I should.

the doctor us referring me to urology so will see how long it takes to hear! I hope its quick!

• Edited

I've been suffering from prostatitis for around 4 years on and off. Try sitting in a warm bath when the pain is bad - that could ease it.

The antibiotics could work and sometimes they do even if there is no infection as they also have an anti-inflammatory effect.

I understand only 10percent of prostatitis is bacterial. Other cause could be chronic pelvic pain syndrome which can be caused by stress.

if after your course of antibiotics there's no change then you could ask for a semen analysis and if you're still worried a PSA test.

One thing to note is that piles can also cause pain which can give urgency issues as the main nerves down there are all linked.

my advice would be to drink two litres of water a day, try to destress (very hard i know) and see if the antibiotics work. Do you have pain on ejaculation and/or reduced ejaculate?

Also if you lift weights that could aggravate the prostate - it does for me.

Happy to chat via pm

cheers

Al

• Posted

back at the doctor today and they changed my antibiotics to trimethoprim again yet another DRE which was normal as were the 2 othets so she said therefore she wasn't going to do a PSA test.

its just this urge to pee thats the hardest to deal with. it feels like its in my penis itself as opposed to the bladder and is worse when I lie down. I hardly notice it if I am up and about. last week it was difficult to get an election and it was painful to ejaculated but that seems to have eased a bit. I probably don't drink as much water as I should either. I havent been doing vigorous exercise for the past couple of weeks. just some sketches but don't know if this makes it worse.

the doctor us referring me to urology so will see how long it takes to hear! I hope its quick!

• Posted

Hey there! I hope your doing ok. Came across your posting here and thought i would ask you. You mentioned lifting weights possibly has aggravated your prostate. Im finding the same thing. Infact i think that is intially what set off my prostatitis. I do crossfit and from time to time Squats with weights. Like they say its good to do stretches and so on but i am in agony after days where we have squatting. There seems to be an overload of info on the net about what one should do and that exercise is good. Ive had prostatitis a few times now. Last time couple years ago. Then around the beginning of the year it started to come back. However had symptoms i had never had before such as back pain, bit of hip pain and i think what bugs me the most is groin and upper thigh pain. Feels very uncomfortable and like its always present. My suspicion is that in my case this has to do with Pelvic floor tightness. Ive not seen any doctors. The fact that i had this once and it went away for 2 years and then came back says to me that this is not some kind of bacteria. So id really not like to have to undergo a ton of tests and have prongs stuck up holes if i dont have to. Im 47 male by the way. Its weird with the different pains though. Its like i have gone thru them all. First back pain, then very stiff groing, then abdommen pain, then sore groin. Its very random how it all works. The groin and leg, thigh pain is far the worst though. Any tips or comments id love to hear. Cheers!

• Posted

Good to hear your GP has referred you. This sort of discomfort can really affect mental health.

Were you massively stressed before this occurance? Usually pain in the urethra signifies prostate squeezing on it...hence slow stream. Also, reduced ejaculate the same. It ends up in the bladder.

Have a Google of chronic pelvic pain syndrome .

• Posted

Hi all. Here is what I've learned. Sharing in case it helps someone, but I fully recognise that each case is potentially quite different.

I have had the same symptoms - constant feeling at penis tip of needing to urinate, some urethra irritation etc. No infection showed from urine culture and urine dipsticks always normal. Cystoscopy had no unusual findings. No bladder infection.

A few points:

Semen culture found the bug - an E. coli strain in my case. Multi-antibiotic resistant. Showed as heavy growth. This allowed the choosing of an antibiotic that had sensitivity. Microscopy showed same i.e. abundant presence of bacteria. Was simply not being captured by urine culture. This can happen. Semen culture is often not done for a variety of reasons (practical reasons as well as microbiological ones), but sometimes the interpretation of the result is very clear. Consider it with your doctor.

Try to see if D-mannose helps. I have managed to somewhat control urethra symptoms (not eliminate) with regular intake of D-mannose. This is only of benefit with E. coli. If you don't have confirmed E. coli infection it still may be worth trying in off-chance that it is E. coli. This bug is the most common cause of UTI and bacterial prostatitis. D-mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar present in some foods. It has various functions in nature, but here it works by binding the outside of E. coli. Hence, the E. coli can not attach to the tract, and gets more easily eliminated with urination. According to most manufacturers, it is safe to use, as the body does not use this sugar readily for energy and most of it gets eliminated in urine. Its available in health food shops. Many women use it for bladder infections. Its use in men is less common. Consider with your doctor, esspecially if diabetic.

These are just some of my experiences. I hope they are helpful to someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.