Prostatitis with zero pain, just horrible 24/7 urge to urinate/frequency

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello All,

I am a healthy 25 year old male with no history of urinary issues.

I am at my wit's end. Last Sunday, I started having terrible urinary frequency. I will literally go to the bathroom, urinate, flush the toilet, and then have to use the restroom again RIGHT AWAY. In other words, I have constant urinary urges 24/7... It has been this way for one week.

I don't have any pain or discomfort in my pelvic area, and there is no burning sensation during urinating. However, I feel as if the urine is at the tip of my penis - that is where the urge sensation is most prevalent. If I hold it for a long time and it accumulates, there is quite a lot of urine. However, most of the time (especially in the middle of the night) hardly anything comes out even though it feels so urgent.

I can't sleep since it feels like I have to urinate constantly... last night I was going every 5 minutes, and most of the time only a few drops came out. I am having anxiety now because of this.

I went to the urologist last Tuesday (2 days in). Urinanalysis showed no UTI and bladder ultrasound was okay. However, during the rectal exam, he said my prostate was "off" and did a test of the urine that came out after the exam. At that point, I was told that I had a prostate infection and that the enlarged/inflamed prostate was causing the frequency. In other words, there was bacteria.

I was given 500 mg of Levaquin to take once a day for 30 days. However, it has not helped after 6 doses. I'm trying Motrin (ibuprofen) to no avail. I was told it takes a while for the antibiotic to reach the prostate. I have no fever, and no chills.

I am terrified that I have the chronic pelvic pain (CPP) form of prostatitis. However, I don't know if I do, since (1) there WERE bacteria present upon running the urine after the rectal exam and (2) I have ZERO PAIN. The only symptom is the 24/7 need to urinate. Any ideas on this? I hope I have the acute prostitiis form since this is cured with more antibiotics, but if I have the lifelong CPP form I don't know what to do... I feel like I will have to quit my job since I can't sleep with the need to urinate.

Please help!

4 likes, 293 replies

293 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like it could be an U.T.I ( best take a sample to your Docs.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Thank you, Howard! Unfortunately, the UTI test he ran was negative. He did say I have a prostate infection, but since I don't have any pain or chills (just constant urgency) I was wondering if that is possible.
    • Posted

Not all UTI show up, I had a few that did not leading up to my TURP.

they certainly gave me the urgency, I was also given Oxybutynin which helped a lot. I hope you get it sorted soon.

best of luck

Howard

• Posted

Maybe just check if you dont drink too much water or liquids. Funny if it may sound but too much liquids can be bad for youre health. Try to keep your liquid intake under 2 Litres per day and then see if it works. I thought that water is very good for you and then after I got very sick an internest told me to stop drinking so much water immediately as my kidneys had no salt or minerals or something like that.
    • Posted

Yes, but does the frequent urination have anything to do with my acute bacterial prostititus?
  • Posted

Your prostate is made up of fatty tissue. It takes some time for antibiotics to get into that kind of tissue. I would try it for another week or two, then contact my urologist again if things are not getting better
  • Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I don't want to freak you out, but I have had the exact same symptoms for many years. Some days are good and some are more tough. For me it started immediatley after sex. My advice would be to first rule out everyhting that can be ruled out with standard Western medicine. Tests for infection of prostate fluid, urine (sounds like you did that), CT scan of bladder, possibly MRIs and Xrays. If you are considered 'normal' by all the doctors, then I would look into the angle that it is caused by trigger points in the pelvic floor brought on either by a physcial injury or the unconcious tendency to keep stress in the pelvic muslces (like some people do with their shoulders). You can Google 'A Headache in the Pelvis' and Dr. David Wise. Also Dr. Jerome Weiss. There are other doctors who accept that shortening of the pelvic muscles and myofasical trigger points can cause many urinary issues. 

For me, I have met with some of the doctors and followed their advice (internal trigger point release therapy and relaxation), but have been unable to overcome the symptoms. For many reasons I still believe that myofascial trigger points adjacent to my prostate are the issue. My symptoms are reduced greatly by a very hot bath followed by lying down. Also Valium (5-10mg) and Tramadol can help me get through a flare. Clonazepam (1mg) allows me to sleep through the night without waking up to urinate and calms the symptoms in general. There are also many antidepressants that can be experimented with.

I hope you recover quickly. Feel free to ask any questions. 

• Posted

Hi CMT 23 I know this is an old post of yours but I wanted to know if anything has ever helped with your condition. One of the things I have been told by my doctors is interstitial cystitis. It is basically and inflammation and breakdown of the bladder lining that can be caused by bacteria which I think could be my case. I have tried and failed so many treatments for this condition and especially the urinary problem as I just can't seem to function with it. Have you found anything that helps. Mine has been going on for two and a half years and I don't know what to do about it. I hope you get this message and look forward to your response if you do. I'm trying to figure out if it could just be my prostate because the infection has come out a couple of times. Thank you.

• Posted

IC typically doesn't affect men so much as bacteria has a harder time taking root in the bladder as opposed to women. IC is usually a constant ache or pain in the bladder as well, and the symptoms don't dissipate unless you go on a strict diet to eliminate trigger foods and drinks. If you find your symptoms are not constant, or there is no pain, then it's probably not IC. You would need your bladder scoped to confirm a diagnosis but I've yet to see a male report back a with a confirmed IC diagnosis. Prostate is likely since you are reporting bacteria has been cultured from your prostate fluid. It's likely you have chronic bacteria prostatitis in this case, but you would need a urologist to confirm all of this. 

• Posted

Hi Roark,

I am experiencing the exact same problem as you, have you find any solution? I am on antibiotics, like you doctor has found an infection and I am on antibiotics. I have this constant feel to urinate which is really troubling me. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have had the exact same problem for almost a year now I was wondering if you found a cure, I found that taking hot baths really reduces the urge temporarily, also I have read that not masterbating for over a month really helps longest I've gone is about 3 weeks and symptoms improved but as soon as I had sex or masterbated the symptoms got back to normal constant urge that will not go away I need help I've been to multiple urologist's and they just prescribe me anti biotics that do not work let me know if you found a cure I'm desperate at this point!!

• Posted

Im having this problem now!!!! Its so depressing did you ever get better if so how im on Bactrim antibiotics and pyridium which makes me pee orange for a month now
  • Posted

You just described what I have. I had it once a few moths ago and it went away, but it came back. They have done many tests and still nothing. They even put a camera up my penis. I feel horrible....
    • Posted

I am having very similar issues. it started for me about 3 years ago, i've spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out what the problem is to no avail. I also had the camera. Mine has never really went away, its better and worse at times and seems it may be due to stress. I take venlafaxine for anxiety which seemed to help for awhile with my sleeping and curbing that urge to urinate. now its at its all time worst. Idk what i can do anymore i'm lucky to get 4 hours of sleep in night, for the past two months it has been like that. I feel my health deteriorating at this point.

the one difference is that i get an occasional burning sensation after i pee. Usually after ejaculating.

if i ever find a solution i will try to share everywhere i have currently looked. 

this has really made life a lot less fun.

• Posted

Hi all. Try kegal exercise. It really helps yo maintain urine flow. Search more about this exercise on google. Hope it will help you all. Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.