prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondering. I was on Prozac before for anxiety. I haven't been on it in a while but I think my anxiety is coming back. But I just want to know if I go back in Prozac wud it be OK to have an occasional drink sometimes as in alcohol ?.any advice is aprreciated thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was on Prozac 20mg for 20 years and drank alcohol whilst on it. I would say though wait until it's in your system and your feeling better before having a drink .

• Posted

Thanks so much. That's put my mind at ease now. I really didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life but I'm starting to think I have no other choice now. This is about the fourth time my anxiety has come back. So I think there's no getting away from without the help of medication. Xx

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it? I'm on sertraline now and think I'll be on it forever as I was so bad at xmas. I still suffer but can do Day to day things now. It takes over your life. X

• Posted

It definately is one of the most horrible things. When the doctor told me a while back that I'd probably be on the meds for good I just went home and cried. This thinking IL never have a life if I have to take medication for the rest of my life and thinking why me. Why do I have to be the one with anxiety and also just wanting to fight it by myself. That's why I stopped taken it I felt fine and said I can do this but I can't and that's just how it is. I've started to get bad over the past few days.i can feel it building up inside.try to fight it but I just can't. It's so hard X

• Posted

If you had a heart condition or diabetes for instance you would have to take medication for the rest of your life. Anxiety is an illness and some of us are made that way. As I said I took Prozac for 20 years and was great on it and was really well until I stopped it last September thinking I was ok !!! How wrong I was I became really unwell with anxiety and had panic attacks, IBS. I'm on sertraline now for 3 months and although I still suffer with anxiety and intrusive thoughts and heaps better. I will not come off this now. My mother and sister suffered with anxiety so I think it's in my genes.

I'm not saying you should stay in it forever as everyone is different. I'm just saying not beat yourself up for being on it. There is too much stigma with depression and anxiety and it's an illness. So pleased to see prince harry bringing it into the headlines. Contact me anytime x

• Posted

Thanks so much Karen. You are right. It is an illness. My dad n mom both suffered from anxiety too. Also my uncle suffers from depression and his son took his own life. So it's defiantly in my genes too.i have health anxiety. Its really horrible. Everytime i feel weak or anything i constantly worry. I get numbing sensations and that just sends me over the top. I hate it. Im definately staying on the medication this time. Its better than feeling like this Xx

• Posted

Certainly not during the initial few weeks. But once you stop experiencing the side effects, a pint of beer or a glass of wine on Friday evening should be ok. However, dinking to the point when you experience a black out is a bad idea...
    • Posted

Thank u. Yeah that's what I was thinking as I'm not a person where I drink til I pass out anyway. IL certainly wait until the side effects have gone or at least until I feel a bit better. Thanks so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.