Prozac experiences

Posted , 8 users are following.

Looking to hear people's positive and negative experiences with taking prozac. Long term users and people that have taken prozac after having on going panic attacks...any storries of taking it short term and successfully returning to normal after quiting taken prozac. Also is Prozac in the same family as Xanax? Is prozac just as bad as Xanax?

I start mental health therapy this Wednesday August 24th. I plan and hope that will help and I won't need to take medicine. I've not started any meds yet never taken any ever for anxiety or depression. I'd like to keep it that way. However if therap doesn't help, ID potentially like to try the least Scarry med possible. If that makes any since.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Prozac wasn't for me it made everything so much worse it works well for some but was not one for me. Hopefully it will help you good luck if you decide to try it.

• Posted

What worked well for you? Any meds or therapy? If meds how long have you been on them?
    • Posted

And how long did you try prozac before thinking it wasn't for you?

• Posted

Prozac nearly killed me....my body felt as though it was going to shut down, definately wasn't the medication for me.

In answer to your question in regards to Prozac and Xanax being in the same family, No they aren't, they are both used to treat anxiety, Prozac is an anti depressant, Xanax is a benzodazapine.

• Posted

Just a drug of choice by various doctors I think. I remember when this drug first came onto the market , it wasn't allowed into our country until proper studies were done, also the USA were close to banning it as well I think from memory. Don't hold me to that though as I may well be wrong even though I vaguely remember a worlwide discussion on prozac.

• Posted

Hi Joel,

Theres going to be good reviews and bad reviews. Theres no antidepressant that is one size fits all. Unfortunately the only way to find out which med is for you is to try it yourself. I spent hours scouring the Internet for positive stories on prozac before i started, and i ended up more terrified than when i began. I ended up just biting the bullet and giving it a go because i wasn't going to find out any other way.

People will have negative experiences to share with any drug out there, but try not to let their experience scare you from trying to sort the best treatment for yourself.

If you really want some reviews i had a look at the drugs dot com website. There were lots of helpful reviews on there. Goodluck!

• Posted

I gotcha, but don't some People take stuff like prozac short term and then after a few months stop taking it? And return to normal pre panic attack?

• Posted

That can be the case for some people. I think thats why medication and therapy is a really good combination - because you're taking a drug to help your symptoms whilst you also working on strategies to help the anxiety. I think going on meds for at least 6 months is recommended.

I've read plenty of stories of people who haven't relapsed into anxiety after stopping meds. If you're taking meds and working with a psychologist then you're essentially rewiring your brain to think and respond differently. Keeping a healthy mind state is an ongoing thing that you'll have to strive to do forever in my opinion. That's how i got myself into this mess in the first place... Thinking that my mental health was invincible and could handle continuous negative thoughts. I was very wrong :p

• Posted

I never thought about it like that,but makes alot of since. I thought about negative thoughts, and obsessed over my stresses in life so much prior to having a panic attack. I would literaly go home everyday after my job in the military and just drink a 12 pack to myself per night and obsess over my stresses .....I did that for years while I was on active duty and never had a panic attack. Then I got out of the military and boom, panic attack.

I never ever worried that my constant dwelling on my stress with no TV on staring at the wall for hours while I thought would do anything to me...maybe it did?

• Posted

Yeah it definitely would. That's how I've ended up with severe anxiety and OCD. I caught mono in October last year and have been unwell since.. i now have a mild form of chronic fatigue syndrome and haven't been able to work. When you're unwell you have a lot of time to think obsess over when you're going to feel normal and healthy again and when i have a viral relapse my mental health crumbles.

The more you think about something whether positively or negatively it changes your brain and makes it easier to think in that way.

• Posted

I have a positive story. It very much works for me. BUT when first taking it it can make your anxiety symptoms worsten. But I stuck with it and it gave me my life back. It's not a cure but it makes it manageable. Everyone is different but my experience is a positive one.

• Posted

How long have you been taking it? Did you try therapy before trying it. And you say makes it managble? Meaning do you still feel anxiety while taking it sometimes? Or do you just mean it doesn't cure it because if you stopped taking it your anxiety would come back?

• Posted

I was taking it for 3 years, then stupidly 2 months ago I felt I didn't need it anymore so just stopped it cold turkey. Biggest mistake ever!! I'm back on it for 3 weeks now and I am functioning again, able to go out etc. It can take 6-8 weeks to fully get into your system. When I was on it long term I was anxiety free 99% of the time. On the odd times I did experience anxiety it wouldn't be overwhelming like it is without the medication. I am booked in to try cbt for the first time in a few weeks which I think will be useful. When I'm bad I find distraction is a great tool to stop it getting overwhelming.

• Posted

Generally if you have the Prozac they may want you to start the medication straight away, before your appointment

You will need to confirm that

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.