Prozac experiences

Posted , 8 users are following.

Looking to hear people's positive and negative experiences with taking prozac. Long term users and people that have taken prozac after having on going panic attacks...any storries of taking it short term and successfully returning to normal after quiting taken prozac. Also is Prozac in the same family as Xanax? Is prozac just as bad as Xanax?

I start mental health therapy this Wednesday August 24th. I plan and hope that will help and I won't need to take medicine. I've not started any meds yet never taken any ever for anxiety or depression. I'd like to keep it that way. However if therap doesn't help, ID potentially like to try the least Scarry med possible. If that makes any since.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As for as anti-depressants, there are several. There is a DNA testing that can be done for what medication would work best. I don't know the statistics on how effective it is but it is something worth asking your doctor.

• Posted

Prozac is an antidepressant from the group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) and no it's not in the same drug family as Xanax, Xanax is a benzodiazepine and they work differently.

I have tried prozac and it made my anxiety worse but to be fair the doctor did not take care to start me on a low dose, the reason you need to start low is because SSRI's can worsen anxiety symptoms in the early weeks of taking them so by starting low hopefully it would be tolerable until you got used to them.

Some people get on really well with the SSRIs whilst others find them hard to tolerate or just don't feel they help and you will need to stop them slowly, they are not noted as being addictive by many doctors but a lot of people do find it very difficult to simply cease taking it so it should be a gradual process.

If you go to google and type in the name of any drug followed by the word 'reviews' you will see many people's experiences, of course we are all unique in how we respond to medication but it can be useful to see the pros and cons from other people who have taken certain meds.

• Posted

I appreciate the info, good stuff.I like to ask questions on here and look at reviews of people's experiences, I find it a little bit more real when you are actually communicating with a person that has an experience , it's a bit more comforting then looking at a review of a drug by someone 22 days ago or 6 months or 6 years ago. I really appreciate your input , thank you very much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.