Prozac - started 1 1/2 weeks ago side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Swapped from lexepro last week as it didnt seem to work to prozac 20mg. A week and a half on prozac and the last couple of days I have had quite bad aggitation and restlessness and definetly increased anxiety.... am wondering if others experienced this when starting prozac, and if it settled after a couple of weeks? Also got nausea, not hungry and a bit of diarrea.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes that sounds like Prozac. Im on Zoloft which is very similar and it's because of the increased serotonin levels, which actually can give you an increased boost of energy that feels like anxiety. I would suggest exercising and calming activities when you can, like meditation, breathing exercises and yoga if you do it, or even a brisk walk outside. From what I've read it will go away and considering you're a week and a half in your not too far before your body gets used to the Prozac and starts feeling normal. But as always, consult your doctor if your really concerned.
  • Posted

It takes up to 6 weeks for AD's to kick in the side effects should subside.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

I am trying to think positivley and thinking that side effects mean that its working! I am thinking that maybe its taken a week and a half to build up in my system and as its building up i have side effects. When my body gets used to it in another couple of weeks hopefully side effects will calm down.
    • Posted

Positive thinking and positive habits it's the absolute best way to get about the medicine. From most what I've read, the side effects always diminish after 2 to 4 weeks. So just do what you can and read all about building good habits and what makes you happy and feel calm. Also if Prozac doesn't work switching medicine is always easier as it goes so starting is the hardest part!
  • Posted

Its probably day 13 now and my anxiety is really intense...feel like i could run a marathon, climb the walls ....i seriously hope it settles a bit soon😑

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.