Prozac withdrawal symptoms. Is this normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I'm new here. So a week ago I cold turkey Prozac and the first 3 days I was feeling great. But these past 3 days I've gotten 24/7 stomach discomfort. Like there's no sharp pain or anything but only like this discomfort feeling that I don't know how to describe that has been annoying. This is making me really worried because I've searched online and there's no mention of stomach discomfort, all I see is stomach pain as a problem with withdrawal symptoms. I've also gotten dreams everyday and my stool has also been inconsistent, sometimes it's mushy, other times it's slimy. Also my appetite has been a bit lower. Should I be worried?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go back on it and taper off. Quitting cold turkey can lead to some tough mental illness problems as your brain reacts. You can taper off slow and avoid any side effects.
    • Posted

I totally concur.  Work with your doctor to taper very very slowly (over months).  He or she may be able prescribe some medication to help with the transition too.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Exactly what I went thru.  I had diarrhea or loose bowls, insomnia-with very weird dreams. Rapid heartbeat,  barely any appetite, my stomach was "off"-no stomach pains-just off.  It's called SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome.   I called it Prozac withdrawal.   I went thru hell for weeks & I thought I weaned off gradually.  My anxiety went thru the ROOF.   It was awful.   Had to take Xanax to get thru it.    Prozac is suppose to be one of the easier drugs to withdraw from.  I took 20 mg's for about 15 years.  How long were you on it?  How many mg's?

• Posted

That's good to know. The whole stomach thing being "off" was my biggest concern that kept me worried. Good to know someone else experienced it and knows that it is indeed a side effect from the withdrawal, since I could not find many who felt the same.

• Posted

Agree.  Never even quit these meds cold turkey.  These are serious meds and not to be played with.  Yes this is a withdrawl side effect and you'll probably find other withdrawl side effects will soon start too which will be quite unpleasant and can last for many months.

Reinstate the meds, wait for symptoms to go away then begin a slow withdrawal by the minimal dose possible.

I spent a whole year withdrawing from SSRI's and avoided all symptoms.

K x

• Posted

Okay so I took 20mg for 4 years and stopped using them for 3 weeks until i had withdrawal symptoms. I went to  my GP and asked him if I could drop prozac and he said yes. I asked for a lower dose and he gave me 10mg. I took the 10mg for 3 weeks before I stopped and today its been a little over a week since I stopped. My GP did not give me any instructions on how to taper them so I am not sure what to do. I guess go back and ask him for directions although I think he should of gave me directions in the first place, never knew they had to be handled with care......
    • Posted

Psychiatrists are the only docs I would trust with this stuff.    My PC doc didn’t have a clue.  He kind of did the same as your doc did.  It’s true-these are serious drugs that you don’t want to mess with. Like I said/ I went thru hell & was so stupid  weaning myself off.  Didn’t do it right. I spent months feeling awful.  Not myself at all.  Lost 16 lbs because I couldn’t eat. Wouldn’t wish that hell on my worst enemy.  

• Posted

When I came off Citalopram (another type of SSRI) I reduced by 5mg each reduction lasting 4 weeks each drop.  Went from 20mg down to 5mg, then 2.5 and finally 1.25.  I bought a pill cutter / crusher (crushed the last 2 doses as too small to cut further).  Doctors often give advice thats far too quick to withdraw.  

.I think though that Prozac are capsules and not tablet form?

• Posted

And like Kate said-NEVER quit these types of meds cold turkey.  If you can-go back on & try to get in with a psychiatrist who will know what you need to do & also offer you other options for meds if you feel that you need them.  

• Posted

I'm kinda scared of taking the pills again

Are you guys sure I should start taking them again and go to a psychiatrist to start a weaning plan?

• Posted

im hesitant on taking the pills again because seeing a psychiatrist can take up 1-2 months  . i stopped taking prozac because of unwanted side that would not go away, namely constipation. Ironically the first few days i stopped taking prozac my constipation was gone but its coming back now. I don't know what to do sad

• Posted

Couldnt you just buy some over the counter constipation stuff?  I know how hard it is to get into a psychiatrist as a new patient. Let’s see what others have to say but if stay on the 10 mgs till you can wean properly.   Just my opinion.  I know how hard it is to deal with this.  So sorry you are going thru this. 
    • Posted

I heard bad things about relying too much on over the counter stuff for constipation. Like your bowels stop working properly without them if you use them often Idk. so I try not to rely to much on it or am scared to rely them often
    • Posted

Other thing is to eat lots of fruit and nuts - a whole day of eating fruit and you're sure to see a difference!!  Lots of water too .... and no processed food.  Try it for a day or two.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.