PSA jump

Posted , 8 users are following.

56 year old, long history of BPH. I have had severe pain and UTI issues for about 3 months. Went to

my urologist about a month ago and was prescribed Bactrim. DRE, according to doc was normal. He suggested that I have a PSA. Had one last January, it came back at 1.58......had one done last week and it has come back at 2.14....I looked at it on a patient portal for my urologist and the comment was "above high limit". I am pretty stressed over that. Should I be? I do have a trace amount of blood in my urine. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

if your symptoms started rather suddenly like 0-60 then i wouldnt worry. fairly low psa last year for your age and a small spike with symptoms...do not panic. urologist will probably repeat after bactrim....i would. not likely they would do a bioposy with that psa...so hang tight and relax. stress just makes the prostate worse. good luck with it!

• Posted

Drew,

Your PSA numbers are still low although you had a small rise in the last year. What I have always heard is for 56 years old, under 4.0 is normal. The blood in the urine is something to watch. You can buy some "Siemens multistix 10 sg" Urine test strips on Amazon or Ebay, and start testing for UTI yourself at home. They test for :

Glucose

Bilirubin

Ketone (Acetoacetic Acid)

Specific Gravity

Blood

pH

Protein

Urobilinogen

Nitrite

Leukocytes

Be careful about a Urologist trying to push you into a biopsy. Now days a 3 Tesla MTI can show cancer as well as, or better than a random biopsy.

You can try some natural remedies along with antibiotics, like cranberry juice, cranberry pills, Dmannose, and biofilm disruptors.

Thomas

• Posted

The blood worries me. You should ask for a cystoscopy (flexible scope!) to check for any issues. It's the best test around. Also you might still have a UTI. I use Amoxicillin for UTIs. It is very effective and no side effects. I usually get one UTI a year. Good luck.

• Posted

I should add the blood is the microscopic variety. Hematuria ? sp.?

• Posted

Still very important to understand where it is coming from. A cystoscopy will give the doctor a good view of the bladder wall, as well as the urethra and prostate so you should ask for it. The concern is early bladder cancer. I had a hematuria a few months ago but it produced a lot of visible blood in the urine.

• Posted

Hi from New Zealand. The PSA is I believe still well within safe levels. The Bactrim is an antibiotic

RegardsRobin

• Posted

Hi from New Zealand. The PSA is I believe still well within safe levels. The Bactrim is an antibiotic

RegardsRobin

• Posted

I had blood in my urine and my urologist suspected a bladder tumor. He sent me for a CT urogram and he was correct. Fortunately it was the non-invasive type and after surgery and 6 weeks of immunotherapy, there has been no reoccurrence. Don't assume it's nothing.

• Posted

Motrin , advil can cause you to have blood in the urine. Dont do a biopsy first get a 3tmri before any biopsy. Watch out for urologists sometimes they will push there own procedures. Always good to get second or third opinions. This group in here is a good for many opinions.

Good luck

Jim

• Posted

Motrin , advil can cause you to have blood in the urine. Dont do a biopsy first get a 3tmri before any biopsy. Watch out for urologists sometimes they will push there own procedures. Always good to get second or third opinions. This group in here is a good for many opinions.

Good luck

Jim

• Posted

I would never suggest for 1 minute to ignore any problems related to Bladder or Kidney problems. In NZ a PSA of under 5 would be looked at but in some readings they look at other markers so it may not be apples with apples if you are with me.

• Posted

I would not worry yet. Check the PSA in 3 mths and see if it continues to rise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.