PSA reading of 12 - 62 year old male no symptoms

Posted , 17 users are following.

I've just had my first PSA blood test and it has come back as 12.

I got to the gym every day and do 2 spin cycle classes a week.

I have Gilberts syndrome which means I have slightly higher than normal levels of a substance called bilirubin build up in the blood.  I am 62 years of age and feel reasonably fit with a medium to slim build. I'm having my second PSA blood test 11 days after my first one.

I am aiming to ease off the exercise for a few days to try and help my level.

Has anyone any advice or experience of similar levels please ?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No sex and no  prostate trauma like riding a bike or stationary bike.
  • Posted

Hi Barry,

A PSA of 12 could be significant. You may want to wait about 2 weeks and get re-tested. I recommend no sex, no masturbation, no strenuous exercise, and no bicycling or motorcycle riding within 3-4 days of your test. If the result is still high, request a 4K test, or if that's not available, an MDX test prior to agreeing to a biopsy. Both of these are urine tests that they do right after a prostate massage. They identify genetic markers that give an indication of cancer that may be present, therefore can help with a decision about whether a biopsy is needed.

Good luck. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best,

Fred 

• Posted

Don't ride a bike in the three days before the PSA test, have sex or pass a hard stool.

• Posted

We can avoid the first two, but how can you not pass a hard stool, if it is there ? Hank
    • Posted

Take a stool softener for about five days before the test.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I  already have the 2nd PSA blood test booked for 11 days after the first one so I will probably keep that appointment, rather than waiting 14 days (the doctors letter said a 2nd test in a week or two).

I will take your advice on board and let you know what happens after the second test.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hey Barry,

Listen to Fred. I had two biopsies that turned out to be completely un necessary. I had a third biopsy to find out that the suspected area was caused by the second biopsy.

After the second biopsy I got a spermatic cord infection that took 4 weeks of ciproflaxin with associated risks to clear up.

I wish I had known about the mdx test before all this happened to me.

Don't let the uro bully you into anything. The treatments are changing for prostate problems. I am going tomorrow for a PAE. My GP did not even know what it was. His specialty is reproductive health.

• Posted

No, for someone your age it should be nearer 3. I wouldn't worry about that particularly as it could be due to a test close to the cycling/spin class you do, as others suggest. PSA is a bit of blunt instrument anyway. Try knocking off the cycling at least before your next test. All the advice so far is good advice.

• Posted

Berry  Yes you have to watch a lot of things when taking a PSA.  Exercise Sex Running  Different food.  Before you have it again.  Watch and be careful.  And don't let anyone take you in to anything  Good Luck  Ken 

• Posted

Please make sure their are NO UTI s lurking ...You should get a  culture on your urine Will take a few days to get results..Make sure they do the culture, not just the stick.

Best of Luck to you!

• Posted

Yes, I just had the same results. My PSA just recently was 12 up from 9 after having a Button Turp about 1 1/2 years ago for BPH. The doctor had a MRI done using a T3 machine which is a must for the prostate. He did not want to blindly do a biopsy without having some idea what may be going on and where to direct the needles. I'm glad he did because they saw a leason in the transitional area of the prostate. He said that had we not done the MRI, the chances of locating anything via biopsy or digital rectal exam would have been like finding a needle in a haystack. This area is not usually checked due to it being on the back side of the prostate.

Prior to my last PSA test, the numbers would fluctuate drastically. Sex, bike riding and almost anything that stimulates the prostate (even being constipated) will give you a greater than normal reading. He once gave me some antibiotics and I stayed away from all exercise and sex for a week and my PSA went way down. Also if you do a lot of sitting or driving your PSA will go up. At least I figured that out over time.

Just make sure you don't have a needle biopsy before checking for other issues first. You may just have a big prostate. Mine is 165 ml and a normal one is 40 ml that is 4 times the PSA. A big prostate gets irritated faster and with little to no effort. There are a lot of things down there that are rubbing up next to it and the bigger means more friction.

Insurance covered it all after some convincing. It seems insurance companies don't like spending $ for MRI's. The MRI is the new way of looking at the prostate. It will tell you everything and you may not need a biopsy,  if it looks good.

Good luck

• Posted

I would take a different path in the process. I would have an MRI and have it read by a doctor specializing in prostate cancer. There are two or three Interventional Radiologist that can view the film who h can be done in any city, and sent to them to tell you if a lesion is present. Then I would have a focal biopsy with a singal needle, of the specific tissue. The 12 needle biopsy is very random and inaccurate. Also, it cause prostate infection and when done, you must then wait 6 to 8 weeks to follow it with an MRI as an option.

Also with the MRI you will know you prostate size and density which determines the correct range for a psa score for that particular prostate. Then, if desired at that time you could always follow up and go ahead and get the painful 12 needle biopsy. The 3 TMRI is not painful and gives more data with more accuracy while still allowing options. Just a thought.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, that's all interesting stuff.

• Posted

I understand the caution about needle biopsies, but would like to log my positive experience with the two that I've had - the second under general anaesthetic taking 36 samples through the rectum! With preventive antibiotics I had no adverse repercussions and they found the cancer cells. That was several years ago and I've had no treatment, no apparent spreading and reducing PSA (now at 6). My first biopsy was 12 samples under local anaesthetic and apart from the strange feeling of thinking I was being shot with a paper stapler, it wasn't at all painful - just rather undignified. It's not always unremitting horror stories.

• Posted

I must not understand - you say they found cancer but you had no treatment?
    • Posted

Yes. It’s quite normal at age 67 to live with untreated prostate cancer as long as it is regularly monitored and found to be the less dangerous type. Not all cancers spread or develop. Lots of men die with cancer but from other causes before it grows. Many never knew they had it as it can be entirely free of symptoms. I’m glad I know it’s there but not spreading and that if it showed signs of doing so that my doctors are ready to intervene to do what is possible to keep me alive.
    • Posted

Hi Barry,  j12080 has good advice, I had an mp mri of my prostate which found a suspect area but interestingly although the mp mri report said the suspect area was highly likely to be cancer the interventional radiologist who obtained the report and mp mri images said don't sweat it as its most likely to be just inflammation, after choosing to have only a 3 needle biopsy through the rectum by a prostate cancer robotic surgeon by ultra sound guidance the result was inflammation not cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.