Psych and CPN suggesting change to Mirtazipine and advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

have bi-polar been on venlafaxine for ages on dose of 225mg and it's not working anymore, my CPN and Psych have suggested Mirtazipine.

venlafaxine has awful side affects and withdrawl [ my meds are supposed to be on a maintenance dose but my bi polar has been getting steadily more aggressive and less easier to control] I'm used to living with the side effects and withdrawl of venalafaxine, taking the side effects away does Mirtazipine work.

At the moment I am taking the venallafaxine 262.5, carbarmazapine 100mg, diazepean 5mg and a sleeper at night, I want to get rid of the sleeper and the diazepan has any one had a similar experience and Mirtazipine worked for them?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi cazzr

Are you on lithium for your bi-polar? I am on lithium and I also take mirtazapine. I think you should give mirtazapine a try... particularly if you are trying to get off the sleeping tabs. Mirt makes you very sleepy the first 1-2 weeks you are on it. I had some of my best sleeps in ages when I started mirt. going to bed at 10pm and not waking till 8am. They may help you get off the sleeprs is it zopiclone?? Don't just stop taking zopiclone suddenly though, you need to taper off gradually. Maybe ask pharmacist for help if you don't want to go to GP?

Mirt is one of the newer anti-depressants and is generally well tolerated, with much fewer nasty side effects than some of the others. Can cause weight gain though which is a real bummer. But if you work at it the weight gain doesn't necessarily happen.

Wishing you all the best

starlight xx

• Posted

Hi all I am also on lithium and mirtazapine and until recently dothiepin as well. I am not bi-polar but suffer from severe recurrent depression. I would suggest that you give mirtazapine. It is often used as an add on with other anti depressants. I found it very difficult to come off the withdrawals were terrible but I got through it and and I have to take it again. I take 1,000mg of lithium plus 30mg of mirtazapine. Sometimes IK take a 3.5mg of zopiclone. I have problems with night terrors and sleep walking. I disagree with Starlight about tghe weight gain. I have gained half astone in six weeks. I eat healthily and exercise. I am no couch potato. It is a big problem for me. When I see my psychiatrist I might ask for a change in anti depressant. If you look at food you'll put on weight wsith mirtazapine. Saying that it is a very good mood stabiliser and helped with my paranoia and morbid thoughts
  • Posted

thanks guys for your advice.

I takr carbamazipine instead of lithuim, as my dad has a thyroid problem and lithium can cause thyroid problems.

I find the carbamazipine works really well, yes the sleers I have been taking are zoplicone, have taken them many times before and know they are a bit sticky to come off and always use them as a last resort.

I'm not to bothered about the withdrawl from the mirtazipine as I have to take meds for rest of life so not likely to come off them for a while venalafaxine is pretty awfull to come off as well 9discovered this on a high when I stopped taking meds, it's even worse to start it again and is a pretty horrible drug to take all the time.

I've talking to my psychy nurse she said that wieght gain is a problem, which is the only thing I'm not to sure about.

The venalfaxine isn't working well anymore, so I need some other options, and I need a drug that does the seritonon and nuroedrinal .

thanks again for your advice

caz

• Posted

Hi there I'm not so sure about the weight gain... I was really concerned about it too, but have been told over and over again by the psych that it just increases your appetite. If you control what you eat it shouldn't be a problem. I have been on it for over 6 months now and gained maybe a couple of pounds, but then last week I lost a couple of pounds by going jogging and eating less. So overall I haven't gained anything in 6 months. I do understand it's tricky though.. I certainly have to watch what I eat more than I used to. I am doubly-worse off as I am also on olanzapine which is one of the worst drugs of them all for weight gain sad

In terms of its anti-depressant ability though, it is very good. Let us know how you get on with it

• Posted

[quote:014d4c40fb=\"starlight99 \"]Hi cazzr

Are you on lithium for your bi-polar? I am on lithium and I also take mirtazapine. I think you should give mirtazapine a try... particularly if you are trying to get off the sleeping tabs. Mirt makes you very sleepy the first 1-2 weeks you are on it. I had some of my best sleeps in ages when I started mirt. going to bed at 10pm and not waking till 8am. They may help you get off the sleeprs is it zopiclone?? Don't just stop taking zopiclone suddenly though, you need to taper off gradually. Maybe ask pharmacist for help if you don't want to go to GP?

Mirt is one of the newer anti-depressants and is generally well tolerated, with much fewer nasty side effects than some of the others. Can cause weight gain though which is a real bummer. But if you work at it the weight gain doesn't necessarily happen.

Wishing you all the best

starlight xx[/quote:014d4c40fb]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.