Psychiatrist, bit of a let down. In there for 15 minutes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Went too see a psychiatrist today for the first time and am a bit shocked that I was only in there for 15 minutes? Didn't really get to talk about a lot of things, felt very rushed and whenever I spoke he just had this giant smerk on his face. He has recommend that I go back onto medication which I'm completely fine with. I don't know if these things are meant to last that long. But felt a bit let down to be honest.

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Whenever I see my councillor I'm in there for an hour. I thought this would be the same too, but he genuinely looked like he couldn't be bothered. rolleyes
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

That sounds exactly like my psychiatrist, he rediagnosed me by reading me symptoms off a book. They just give you meds they don't want to hear anything you've got to say. They're getting paid either way. It's ridiculous.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's what I was like aha. I don't even know what the solution to it is. I asked for an earlier appointment not long ago and he phoned and was like there's no point just say what you have to on the phone. So half arsed aha. It really feels like they just think you're at it.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was reffered to mental health recovery team to see the psychiatrists  back in January, my appointment lasted about 15 mins as well. I felt it very difficult to talk. He did tell me he wanted me to be reffered for CBT and to see me again which i did 4 weeks later he just increased my meds without much conversation, and said I will see you in 6-8 weeks .Which he did when he reduced my meds back to what they were, he asked about CBT which hadn't started, so told me to chase them up but never said anything about seeing me again. Found out later he had discharged me.

During this time I phoned the recovery  team a couple of times and saw a nurse who I could talk to. She told me the psychiatrist is more interested in the medication and the effects of it, but also said because I was on the waiting list for psycological services for CBT i shouldn't have input from mental health recovery team except for medication review.

I am now 13 weeks down the line from being on waiting list for CBT and haven't still seen anyone. I feel they have done their little bit and you just have to wait. 

I have just seen my GP (about something totally different) but he did ask about my mood and told him I was still waiting for CBT he advised me to chase up.

i wouldn't rush back to the psychiatrist I would prefer to see my GP. Have you got a good rappore with your GP if so I would talk to him/ her.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi arya, I see a thearpist, I feel that she dosen't listen to all my problems. Sometimes, my session is meant to be 50 mins but, she is over tie with her another client before me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Last time I went for counselling I only saw the psychiatrist for a few minutes as well.  He explained that he was the head of a team of counsellors and he decided what type of counselling I needed. 

I didn't see him again until he authorised my discharge at the end of the sessions.  I think that is often their role today rather than doing any of the actual counselling.  x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Arya,

​Its pointless to see a phycologist or psychiatrist. They are hopeless. Physicians these days are looking at their pockets and their watchs to see when our time is up and they've got the money for their time. All they do is to waste the patients time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the feedback guys, seems like they are pretty useless then. Think I will just stick with my gp and counselor. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up